Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st Amp Fix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Amp Fix
    Posted: 23 March 2017 at 3:33pm
I have an old Nad C320 which is trapped in protect which is apparently a known issue due to caps moving out of tolerance so as a project I've decided to fix it up. I know it's not worth a whole lot but this was my first amp so there's a fair amount of sentimental value there and I want to get it right.

The current stage is that all main power caps (they'd shed electrolyte so that was the initial obvious easy fix) are replaced but it's still in protect so now I'm following advice to just bin all the electrolytics and replace.

When replacing caps is there generally a reason for choosing a lower voltage rating for some of the caps other than cost? Most of the electrolytic caps in the amp are rated to either 25V or 50V but some are only rated to 16V. Some of those rated to 16V are of the same value as higher rated caps used elsewhere so maybe I could just order the higher rated parts for all of them..? Is this a bad idea, maybe there's something I've not considered here like leakage current? If not then it's one less variety or parts to order. Maybe the down-rating is just economical when you're turning out a load of amps but not the case when doing a single repair?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Don't test the champignon sound
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 6:30pm
it will be cost.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2017 at 9:52pm
Thanks, I'll just order a job lot of the larger rating then to keep things simple. I'd rather not wind up having to tinker all the resistors because of ESR shenanigans.
Don't test the champignon sound
 Post Reply Post Reply