Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo or Tham?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:15am
The Cubo sounds weak, isn't really that much more compact, and seems to waste the driver - it's neither a good reflex nor a real tapped horn. If you have 21" drivers of good quality there are way better options.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 4:33pm
Sure,  but it´s quite unfair to mark it like that. look at it as power density at that particular box volume. I guess there is not many constructions better than that, while achieving frequency range and stuff. So, Cubo gets quite good once your priority is smallish size. Once it is not your priority, Cubo can get out of your choice list.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:22pm
You can get much better results with only a fraction more volume. Once you're talking multiple Cubo, you've wasted your time.
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

You can get much better results with only a fraction more volume. Once you're talking multiple Cubo, you've wasted your time.

This is generally accepted and the appeal of cubos is mostly due to how accessible they are. They are aimed at those of us who don't have access to table saws / £££ etc etc
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:35pm
[QUOTE

This is generally accepted and the appeal of cubos is mostly due to how accessible they are. They are aimed at those of us who don't have access to table saws / £££ etc etc
[/QUOTE]Clap

It's everything, not everythink!
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:36pm
Sure, but if you don't have access to those, is it really worth putting a £1000 list driver in one?
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Sure, but if you don't have access to those, is it really worth putting a £1000 list driver in one?

I agree with this. My comments were more directed at cubos being crap.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:46pm
They're a fine budget option, but just that - four make a good noise with Fane 18XB sure but I wouldn't say massively better than a double 18" reflex with the same driver that takes up the same space.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:42am
Yes, that´s what I said, or what I do agree on, and where the detail is hidden. Box volume is critical parameter here. Once you cannot go higher with volume, it is not a bad box.

I am situated in this dilemma too. Got 21” in moderately sized box – relatively compact for what it is, but I would like to go smaller, more modular, while staying at 30 Hz game.

Not easy to do for the size and money. Tapped horns and other constructions don´t seem to be help here either. Only way to go smaller while achieving the same SPL and frequency range is to throw more drivers with more cone excursion and more watts on it. No way around.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123