Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

recording music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recording music
    Posted: 26 March 2017 at 7:49pm
ok guys as an artist and commercial dj f 2 years and I've  meddled with recording karaoke nights and stuff originally twin tape deck, then borrowed a cdr recorder and tried with that all with limited success

I have got all the main gear as you'd expect ,dynacord powermate mixing desk, mics, speakers ect and changed ever to laptop for djing but what do I need to start recording stuff a bit more professionally ,this is mainly for me but im a stickler for my sound so its got to be right

I have also been challenged to do 10 different songs a week for a year so was thing of recording these maybe on a facebook site or youtube so it can be verified ,ive tld them ill lok into it and see what I need,ive seen loads of people n youtube singing and stuff but not sure how yu go about it

hopefully some of you here will have some nuggets of wisdom for me
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 7:51pm
X32 Producer is a good bet.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 10:08pm
X32 is a good bet, but I would forget the producer, for an extra £200 you can have the compact, which has scribble strips, making it a more than an the 8 ch desk the producer is.

But be aware you will need a laptop with software (Reaper would be fine)  to multitrack record, the inbuilt USB is stereo only.

you would also need a mic splitter like the MS8000 for this setup, unless you are the kinda maniac that records off shared pre-amps (which IMHO can't be done).

I am also thinking maybe you just want to record stereo direct to disk, in which case buy a behringer UCA-202 (which are really good and you need to spend like 10 times more to get a lot better) and pluf that into a laptop, again you will need Reaper or Adobe Audition type software ideally to record but you can get WAV file to burn direct to CD...

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 7:51am
Producer is perfect for recording especially with its DAW mode. As this is what it was designed for.

www.stage2sound.com
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 7:53am
The lack of scribble strips is just un-forgivable IMHO, make sit as useless as a Yamaha.....
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 9:49am
Yeah that is annoying but its simple to use DAW interface and rack mount size make it a amazing tool for on site multitrack recording.

www.stage2sound.com
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 11:36am
TBH, for onsite the last thing you need is any kinda of surface, a Rack would be miles better, personally I use a rack of D8s and Hammerfall running DigiCheck, If I could work out how to sync 2 s16s I would use them, but AES-50 appears to have a random clock agenda to say the least..

70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 1:16pm
I have an Akai DPS 16 (with effects), may be worth a go, pretty versatile desk, only issue is that export is only one channell so any mixing ,finalizing is done on the desk. Dont want a lot for it P.M. me if interested.
Top banana
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 1:54pm
If all you need is recording the whole output (no multi track) then all you need is a nice two channel external sound card.
Main output from the powermate to the sound card inputs and then record to your laptop using Soundforge or some similar program.
This will be easiest way if that is what you actually want.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

If all you need is recording the whole output (no multi track) then all you need is a nice two channel external sound card.
Main output from the powermate to the sound card inputs and then record to your laptop using Soundforge or some similar program.
This will be easiest way if that is what you actually want.

that's sounds easiest, as I use Tascam iur2 soundcard so that might work

in reality I just want to record myself to put some songs onto website or discs for customers to listen to if I can do this using what ive got here and plug into the record outs on the powermate and that will record the whole sound on to my spare laptop then ill give that a try out

I can work out the challenge aspect later lol
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply