Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power soft K series with or without dsp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 10:03pm
Used non DSP K 20's over the weekend with the Armonia software. Quite pleased! What exactly is the benefit of buying the K 20 DSP's then Toasty?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 10:05pm
Non DSP variant only has the limiters setting, not the actual DSP.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 10:15pm
Ok, but I can still do all I want (filters, delay, etc.,) with Armonia to each amp individually, right?
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by taurusty taurusty wrote:

Ok, but I can still do all I want (filters, delay, etc.,) with Armonia to each amp individually, right?

No, pretty sure the amp has to have the DSP built in to be able to do all that. Armonia is how you link and control it all. 

I would also say go for the DSP versions. Lake and Armonia are by far and away the two best processing platforms available just now. It's a bit of a toss up as to which one is better in terms of pure processing, however given the choice (and while it's a subjective opinion of course) the amp part of the powersoft beats the Lab, so i'd lean towards that one. 

The sound and features will be way ahead of an XTA or stand alone processor, and should you have a problem with your processing, you also have the redundancy of being able to swap in any amp and copy the settings over if needed. If you have a stand alone processor and it goes down, that's the whole rack taken out. 

But of course, with all of this it goes without saying that with all this increased functionality and processing power people need to be able to measure and set their cabs up properly to make full use of it. It's possible to make things sound stunning and incredibly life like with all pass filers and FIR crossovers etc etc, but it needs the knowledge and experience of how to use it to get the best out of it. 

k
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 2:16pm
Thanks Kevin. Guess I am not understanding as I am used to Crown i TECH DSP. I was surprised to see Armonia suite setting limiters, delay and X over points in 2 non DSP K20's at the weekend.There was no hardware LMS there. Never seen that done at the software level. I was assured that the 2 amps were non DSP due to the cost. Hence my question above if Armenia software can do limiting, delay and crossover on a per amp basis, why buy the DSP models...

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 3:13pm

Thanks Kevin. Guess I am not understanding as I am used to Crown i TECH DSP. I was surprised to see Armonia suite setting limiters, delay and X over points in 2 non DSP K20's at the weekend.There was no hardware LMS there. Never seen that done at the software level. I was assured that the 2 amps were non DSP due to the cost. Hence my question above if Armenia software can do limiting, delay and crossover on a per amp basis, why buy the DSP models...

No your quite right, however I think someone is maybe a bit confused somewhere. 

Far as I know (and I'm not the biggest powersoft user ever, mostly d&b we use now with their own dedicated amps) with the basic K series you can link into them to monitor the temperature, impedance load, power output etc and you can also set basic limiters. But anything more complicated than that is the DSP version.  Hopefully Kyle or someone else with a more detailed knowledge will be along and confirm.

K
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

No your quite right, however I think someone is maybe a bit confused somewhere. 

Far as I know (and I'm not the biggest powersoft user ever, mostly d&b we use now with their own dedicated amps) with the basic K series you can link into them to monitor the temperature, impedance load, power output etc and you can also set basic limiters. But anything more complicated than that is the DSP version.  Hopefully Kyle or someone else with a more detailed knowledge will be along and confirm.

K

Kev's got it bang on.
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 10:59am
maybe silly question:
if i got a version without dsp how can I add it?
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 11:07am
U'd have to purchase the DSP boards per amp. @. Kevin, Dylan, turns out that' s what they did; bought no DSP and added boards. Tricked everyone!!!

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 11:35am
Yep, two boards in total for full upgrade (you really want the CAT5e control and AES option too if you're going DSP) - KDSP, and KAESOP. You have to open the amp, remove the dummy front panel on the left, and fit the two boards using supplied spacers and ribbon cabling. It's fiddly but far from impossible.

List price for the KDSP is £649+VAT and KAESOP is £489+VAT right now. If you wanted to buy some, let me know how many units you have to upgrade and I can provide a proper quote.
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 1:46pm
who si kenny dylan where i can found some infos about those tricks...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12