Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mid-Top Opinons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Originally posted by mellotone mellotone wrote:

So what can be done to counter the comb filtering effect in the comp/bullet combo? Other than going the 4590 route

Nothing really, coaxial hf driver is the optimum. its physics, or actually even more simple, geometry. Of course you can experiment with different layouts and see what sounds best/least objectionable to you.

using an incredible steep crossover filter will avoid comb filtering...
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2017 at 9:49pm
But will also make alignment very difficult. Always tradeoffs.
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 6:59am
Thx Toasty, could you explain further the issue with alignment?

On a side note would class AB amp at 300w per channel be good fit for the comp + tweets combo?

Edited by mellotone - 08 April 2017 at 5:04pm
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 7:01am
Amp in question is Crest 4601, thx.

Edited by mellotone - 08 April 2017 at 2:28pm
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 7:06am
Looking through previous threads on powering comps with 1 channel and super-tweets with the other channel there seems to be differing opinions on amount of headroom.

Edited by mellotone - 08 April 2017 at 5:05pm
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 12:00am
Originally posted by mellotone mellotone wrote:

Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

I didn't appreciate that you were in the states Mello. Why not update your profile?
Afraid so–profile updated Thumbs Up

Nothing wrong with cohesion. So guessing that having owned and tried both you don't miss that sizzle, sparkle, tizzzt, etc. quality on the tops—the 4590 delivers there too?

I think you may find this thread useful.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/tops-for-roots-reggae_topic97194_page1.html

Edited by knet94 - 12 April 2017 at 12:55pm
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 6:56am
Thanks knet, have studied that thread alot lately—good suggestions there.

Still been working this over in my head and am leaning towards the EV DH1a 2" comp to cover the @1.6Hz–6kHz range, (partially b/c I can pick one up for good price) and pairing with a HP640 horn. Just undecided whether I need 1 or 2.

Again, I'll likely end up going the BMS 4590 single source HF route in the long run but wanna hear for myself the 2" + bullets combo since I already have a set of (4) ST-5022 bullets.

Edited by mellotone - 13 April 2017 at 6:58am
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 5:28pm
Wow that is one big horn! Shouldn't imagine that you would have SPL issues there. My only reservation is that, if you are only going to have one stack, the horizontal dispersion may be a tad narrow.
mellotone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 11:57pm
Ah right, I'm also looking at the HP940 as well. Probably pickup (2) and see if I can get by with a single or if a pair is required.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234