Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" compact coaxial stage monitor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyburn90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" compact coaxial stage monitor
    Posted: 03 April 2017 at 4:15am
Just found a great deal on a pair of Celestion TF1225cx drivers. Can't find the driver in my version of winISD and I don't think I have or can find all the parameters required to plug them into the database myself. I'm not sure if I have the knowledge to carry out the simulation myself. Would anyone be able to suggest approx volume for a ported cabinet design to hit around 80Hz? Or do these drivers excel in a sealed design tuned a bit higher? Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 1:48pm
Celestion's page on the driver does actually have enough info for you to input yourself I think. If you're sticking to the suggested order of input from the helpfile the only exception you have to make is to use Dd rather than Sd but winISD calculates that perfectly well itsself so no reason not to go for it.

Looks like they'll need about 27litres to reach 80Hz (with a 77Hz tuning) but would reach the (admittedly conservative) Xmax of 2.5mm at just over 120W around 100-115Hz.
If you adopt the extended method of calculating Xmax as used by many other manufacturers you'd have 4.5mm to play with, allowing up to 400W to reach that excursion. There would also be a slight hump of around +1dB in the low mids.

If you want the box smaller, you'd give up a bit of extension (and push the low mids up into slightly more of a hump due to the relatively high Qts).

20.5litres tuned to 78Hz can get you to -3dB at 90Hz, with the low mid hump @ 1.5dB.

With a tuning frequency that high, you'll definitely need to be careful to use an appropriate HPF - even an acoustic guitar can produce a fair bit of content below it's nominal lowest note if played percussively for example - and chucking a bunch of 60Hz thump into these while tuned up at 80-ish Hz would not be good.

Good Luck!
David.
 Post Reply Post Reply