Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Info for a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenZz_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info for a newbie
    Posted: 23 April 2017 at 7:41pm
Howdy!

I am a complete novice to sound systems and the parts required but i would be greatful for any articles or help i could recieve to get me pushed in the right direction.

Im hoping to build a small system for outdoor personal use if anyone could recommend me a complete set up? What price should i be expecting to pay etc.

Thank you!

Regards

Kenny
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:51pm
Read diyxover thread "my take on a q15" and then search on here to find his 8" tops

read cookie dj's beginning of the bliss sound system from about page 5 (?) Where he goes for 2 tham 12s and a pair of 18sound plan 8" tops.

Use Google to find them. For small rigs they inspired me maybe they will help you too.

While people may give links to lots of tech articles until you know what you need it's hard to wade through and decide what's pertinent to you.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:54pm
Btw the price is up to your budget... second hand drivers built into mdf cabinets you make yourself will be cheapest. Getting a pro to make your cabinets in decent birch ply and load them with neodymium drivers will be much more expensive. Often the answer of what suits is somewhere in between.
KenZz_x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenZz_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 9:16pm
Hi Jon,

I will take a look, i recon i could build the cabinets myself.
I was just wondeing more so about the speakers and amps and how many of each to maintain a good mix without overkilling the subs or something
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 11:18pm
My knowledge is pretty slim compared to most on here as I'm relatively new to this myself.

What those with more knowledge will be want to know is how big a venue?
how many people?
what sort of music? Different if it's live bands classical, electronic dance music, jungle or dubstep.
Do you have storage space or does it need to be compact?
Budget?

As you learn more you'll realise all your questions are equivalent to "how long is a piece of string", and most of the answers are "it Depends"!

KenZz_x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenZz_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 11:26pm
Hi Jon,

Thanks again! Its something ive always wanted to do but never got around to pursuing it so i thought it would be best to educate before i decide on anything.

I am really interested in the stack systems, i Went outlook festival the other year and took a liking to the electrikal system.

I would probably be looking at 50 people or so and it would more than likely by DNB and Jungle i would be playing.

Sounds like it takes a fair bit of research to get off the ground with this kind of stuff

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 11:47pm
I started looking at tapped horns... tham15, ss15, mth30 and xoc1's th18. These need time aligning to your tops so you would have to have digital signal processing. Not the end of the world but clearly more to learn buy and set up. For this reason i decided to start with simple front loaded bass reflex just for the simplicity in a small rig.

I run one amp for bass and another for tops with a simple eq and crossover and that's it. Does mean I will have to make a crossover for my tops when I build new ones but I'm ok with that!

Keep reading on here. It's a mine of information.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 11:51pm
All systems need time aligning. Even reflex ones.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 8:06am
2 Stacks of Floodlight. TSW718 & TFL760

With amps can be had for around £3500 used these days.

You Won't build a DIY system for that these days.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 11:38am
See what i mean...

A few hundred and a rig you can get in a hatchback or several thousands and a van full. Depends what you need/want.

krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:36pm
why not start off small ,build two b&c sub18 load them with the best driver you can afford ,p audio 18-600 decent on a budget fane xb,pd186 ,see what's available s/h ,
they buy some s/h used tops as these are much harder to get right  decent make 12/1 would be fine ,

behringer crossover and some amps and your away

you can double up the subs as and when funds or gigs require it
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply