Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x12" + 2"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2x12" + 2"
    Posted: 23 April 2017 at 8:06pm
Llo all,

I changed my topic to this location. Advanced discussion wasn't the right place. :p

I'm want to build two tops using two 2" drivers and horns already in my possession.

Drivers: RCF N-980
Horn: EV HP94

I would like to use them as FOH for my cousins rock band. At first accompanied by 2 active mackie subs (SRM1801). At later time i would like to build new subs (4 x cubo18's or something like that)
But I also would like to be able to use them as full range speakers or wedges.

I was thinking of buying four Beyma 12G40 drivers to accompany the N-980's and cross them somewhere between 800-1200Hz as Krazyneil suggested.

https://www.beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=12G40

I used Bassbox to try and calculate volume and came with a volume of 69L and this amplitude response.

I can't find the graph for the RCF N-980 on the web so i'm not really sure on how to know wether the beyma's are the right choice.

These are the only specs i have on the RCF's:

Normal Impedance 8 Ohm
Frequency Response: 500-20000 Hz
Minimum Cut Off Frequency: 500 Hz
Sensitivity:
  With H 6040 horn 111 dB
  With H 9040 horn 109 dB
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohm
Horn Throat Diameter 50mm ( 2")
Voice Coil Diameter 71mm
Mounting Type Bolt On
Frequency Response 500-20,000 Hz
Power Handling 100 Hour IEC Noise 100W
Power Handling Continuous Programme 250W
Sensitivity 1Watt at 1 Metre (with 6040 Horn) 111dB
Weight 11Kg

I also have a question about the filtering.
I will filter active when using them as FOH, buy it would be easy if they are passively filtered when using them as full range or wedge.
Is this at all possible? Using a passive filter and maybe bypass it when using them as FOH?

Regards,

Kris

Edited by bmwkid - 23 April 2017 at 8:09pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by bmwkid bmwkid wrote:

I also have a question about the filtering.
I will filter active when using them as FOH, buy it would be easy if they are passively filtered when using them as full range or wedge.
Is this at all possible? Using a passive filter and maybe bypass it when using them as FOH?

sure, it's possible to wire a box so it can be used both in passive and active mode.

But bear in mind that high-power  passive crossovers are expensive, and difficult to design, especially if you need to include all pass filters to do time delay. THat would definitely be an advanced project. 
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 11:03pm
There are plenty of 12" drivers that will work in this configuration. Go for something with a reasonably light cone for better midrange efficiency and a smooth response through the crossover region. Passive is possible but I would seriously recommend you stick to running active.
bmwkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 5:01pm
Ok. Thx for the info.
I will start to filter active and see where it brings me :-)
Whats reasonable light for a cone? The Beyma's cone is 0.062kg.

Kind regards
bmwkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 8:24pm
The Fane Colossus 12MB is 0.053kg.
The Eminence Delta pro 12a  0.048kg.

So the Eminence should perform better in de mid region.

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 9:06pm
Cone weight isn't the only factor but it's sometimes a good indication of what the driver was originally designed for.  Are there any manufacturers you're particularly looking at/can get good deals on?  I could name lots of nice drivers for that type of box but we might as well narrow it down to ones you can get easily.
bmwkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 9:35pm
Beyma, RCF and Eminece are distributed by my local shop.

Regards
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2017 at 10:56pm
From Beyma I would consider looking at the 12MI100 rather than the 12G40.  There will be some trade-off at the lower end but as long as you're expecting to be able to cross over above 100Hz or so, you might as well go for the better midrange performance.  The 12P80Fe (or even Nd if you have the money) would be nice if your budget allows.

From RCF the MB12X351 (or N351) would be nice but the X301 or N301 is also a reasonable option.

These recommendations are just from the specs rather than experience but if I was choosing a driver from those manufacturer options that's where I'd be starting.

bmwkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 6:17am
Thx. Looking at all specs, things are getting more clear to me.
Just curious. What manufacturer and type would be your choice by experience?

Post Reply Post Reply