Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Linking Turbosound Floodlight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32true Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linking Turbosound Floodlight
    Posted: 26 April 2017 at 2:31pm

Hi everyone,
So I've recently bought 2 Turbosound Floodlights and I'm just working out how I'm going to wire them up to my amp rack. The back panel has a EP6 and an NL8 Speakon out.
I will probably run them mono off either 2 or 3 amps, looking for amps at the mo.

I plan on running one 8 core cable NL8 from my amp rack to one box.

My questions are:

Can I daisy chain them with the EP6 cable provided in the box from one to another? 
Also, the top 2 drivers in each box are 16ohm whilst the bottom driver is 8ohm, how does this affect my choice of amps / ability to daisy chain?

thanks

Edited by 32true - 26 April 2017 at 6:16pm
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 4:17pm
Is there one white cable (bottom right end of the board) going under the board?

Daisy chain will work fine as long as all the wiring is correct, both connectors should be connected in parallel together. If they are soldered to the same pins it will work.

Impedance is there to make sure each speakers gets the correct amount of power.

Edit: To be very honest with you this wiring confuses me much. Might it be that one connector is set for biamp and the other one is for triamp? Kind of makes no sense but I can't really tell which cable goes to what from the picture.

Edited by Darkstar - 26 April 2017 at 4:22pm
Bass =/= Enough
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:30pm
What an interesting setup...

Yes daisy chaining is fine, personally I would drop off the EP6s and go full 8 core so you can send the sub from your rack with one cable, but what hey have doe looks tatty but very workable...

For the cost of a 2m length of 8g2.5 a NL8FC and an NL8MP per cab you could have a much nicer system.

32true View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32true Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 5:59pm
Okay nice, thanks. So if I were to daisy chain them it would make the impedance of the drivers 8, 8, 4 ohms from top to bottom? And if I didn't it would just be the impedance of the drivers so 16,16, 8. So effectively I can only ever use them both together, because I haven't heard of any amps powering a 16ohm driver. How could I go about just using one box?

Good idea running the whole thing NL8 but I have 4 scoops and 4 HD15's below these so they need their own cabling situation!
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:52pm
Wanted to swap ep6 for nl8 for 6 floods, when i seen the final price of the order i just couldnt justify it LOL. I mean they still work and are nice connectors,albeit a bit rusty in my case (and sometimes cut out a bit :) )
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

Wanted to swap ep6 for nl8 for 6 floods, when i seen the final price of the order i just couldnt justify it LOL. I mean they still work and are nice connectors,albeit a bit rusty in my case (and sometimes cut out a bit :) )

Mate, he is half way there, and EP6 get good $ on eBay!!! LOL
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by 32true 32true wrote:

Okay nice, thanks. So if I were to daisy chain them it would make the impedance of the drivers 8, 8, 4 ohms from top to bottom? And if I didn't it would just be the impedance of the drivers so 16,16, 8. So effectively I can only ever use them both together, because I haven't heard of any amps powering a 16ohm driver. How could I go about just using one box?

Good idea running the whole thing NL8 but I have 4 scoops and 4 HD15's below these so they need their own cabling situation!

don't worry about the impedances, it is just so no relevant!

Floods sound great on Sr 707, SR 707, FA901, take that gain structure and find amp of similar numbers...

(EP2500, EP2500, EP1500 works well)

32true View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 32true Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:34am
I'll probably keep it NL8 in EP6 out, don't want to risk ruining the circuitry for a small benefit. And I've always thought impedances were very relevant for amp choice! Thanks for the amp recommendations, hoping to get 2 more floods when I have the cashola

Edited by 32true - 27 April 2017 at 11:38am
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 8:02pm
Impedances are only relevant for amp choice when you want to output to a lower impedance than 4 ohm really.

Regarding the NL8 - EP6 choice it's up to you. You don't have to do anything with the wiring other than removing the cables from the connector you want to swap out and reconnect them to the new NL8 or EP6.
Bass =/= Enough
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2017 at 8:21pm
the wiring looks like it all makes sense to me. the 2 different sockets are linked via the tags on the protection circuit board. i'd say no reason to change the ep6 links. they're tidy enough and they're there. just get an nl8 cable and patch panel made up.

4 floods is for a stereo setup though really so you'll want to build another stack for that heh.
 Post Reply Post Reply