Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best cabinet for heavy bass music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rm31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by jngggggggg jngggggggg wrote:

Originally posted by rm31 rm31 wrote:

Follow the specification for this driver and you won't go too far wrong... Budget permitting.... 

nice1! was actually browsing their drivers before you suggested.. however, i do not have any cab designing software or knowledge at all. are there any free-plans that pair well w/ this driver for my needs? or is it more complicated than that?

I did this however the plans need updating. I later added three braces as the side next to the ports were flexing as well as a load of wadding in the back. It was also made with 1/2" plywood which didn't really help but the bracing definitely did. I was after something which would pass the 'circumference test' i.e. would it play breakage - circumference all the way down and these definitely do with authority. They do however also need a lot of power so you will have to factor that in. I run mine off a single channel of an mc2 - e45. 
Martin Audio F2
RCF MB15N301
Martin Audio FSX
BMS 18N862
volcano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volcano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2017 at 1:52am
I made a design around the BMS 18n862. My design goal was to have a compact box that goes low. So obviously effeciency is sacrificed (meaning that you need a big amp to drive it).
The design needs a 6 dB boost at 28,5hz Q2 to play as intended.
The Idea behind this was to have a compact speaker for smallish gigs, till 200 people. And to make double 18 inch 500l cabinets for the same speaker if i need to use the full potential of the drivers.

It's not yet build and tested as funds don't allow it :-)
http://forum.speakerplans.com/the-singing-canary-sub_topic96721.html
jngggggggg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:32am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Reflex.. period. Scoops don't outperform reflex subs at the frequencies you're talking about.. matter of fact nothing much does until horns get rediculously large. Throw is a misunderstood issue too, what people call throw is just directivity.. horns focus more energy in front of the cab with less spill to the sides and behind, put a set of barn doors on a dual 18 cab and you get the same result. And producing good bass indoors is more about sub placement in the room than raw system capability so you will have to do some homework to determine the best layout.

As for what to build, use some of the latest state of the art drivers(B&C 18TBW or 18SW), build the right size cab to deliver the lowend corner you want and the right number of cabs to deliver the SPL or impact you want, and power appropriately of course. You won't achieve this with a pair of drivers just to be clear, life just begins with four 18" drivers in the reflex world IMO so plan on using 8 drivers or more eventually depending upon how bass crazy the requirements are.

would having subs tuned to this specification limit its ability to produce higher-freq bass as well? current plan is a 3 way system (ie: tweeters, low/upper mid range, bass) so i dont plan on having kick-bins (unless i upgrade in the future)
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:08am
You say you play dub and reggae, are you therefore intending on putting vocals through those 18's? Just curious as to how well the reflex will cover sub, mid bass n vocals with an 18.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 02 May 2017 at 10:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by SouthwestCNC SouthwestCNC wrote:

You say you play dub and reggae, are you therefore intending on putting vocals through those 18's? Just curious as to how well the reflex will cover sub, mid bass n vocals with an 18.

Yes this was my next question. The plan as per above would be a 3 way. Bins, low/upper mids, and tops. I will be playing some music w vocals (not sure if that answers your question) but still haven't looked into how I will be 'operating' the system for a lack of better words.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 1:58am

would having subs tuned to this specification limit its ability to produce higher-freq bass as well?
  No. Again this is another benefit of reflex cab, if the drivers can do it there is nothing stopping you from running the 18's up into midrange frequencies if you have to, but you shouldn't have to with the correct mid drivers .

current plan is a 3 way system (ie: tweeters, low/upper mid range, bass) so i dont plan on having kick-bins (unless i upgrade in the future)
  3 way reflex system can do it all really with the correct drivers, it's a blank canvas that can sound like anything you want with simple EQ adjustments. I have a system with dual 18 subs under dual 15+2" tops, the 15s are proper low/mid drivers with no meaningful output below 70hz and the 2" driver is a nice B&C unit. This system covers the whole spectrum with authority, bass guitar sounds fat yet vocals are clear and it even has good high end.. no probably not quite as much sparkle up there as some super tweeters  would deliver but it's impressive what can be done with the parametric EQs in a processor like the DCX. If the tops were 12's instead the low/mids wouldn't have quite as much weight but it wouldn't be too shabby either, unless you compared it to a system with 15s side by side you wouldn't think you were missing anything and the 12's could be much smaller and easier to move. My dual 15s weigh 150lbs dues to a stack of ceramic magnet drivers inside and 44" tall baltic birch cabs, swap in neo drivers and that would drop to almost half the weight, and the cab can be smaller and lighter if smaller drivers are used too. But if you drop down to 10" mids then you'll likely miss some low/mid and want kick bins, so bottom line is design it as a complete system to start and you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Conanski - 03 May 2017 at 2:08am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:31am
Is there a rule of thumb that helps you decide when you should just build bass cabinets vs when its necessary to build both sub cabinets and kickbins on top?

Aside from your personal needs ie how much hifi u need...?

I'm guessing if you are like me and require bass extension down to 25hz you'll have no choice? Or can anyone suggest a design that has a large bandpass? Thanks!

Edited by jngggggggg - 12 May 2017 at 12:32am
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:23am

current plan is a 3 way system (ie: tweeters, low/upper mid range, bass) so i dont plan on having kick-bins (unless i upgrade in the future)
  3 way reflex system can do it all really with the correct drivers, it's a blank canvas that can sound like anything you want with simple EQ adjustments. I have a system with dual 18 subs under dual 15+2" tops, the 15s are proper low/mid drivers with no meaningful output below 70hz and the 2" driver is a nice B&C unit. This system covers the whole spectrum with authority, bass guitar sounds fat yet vocals are clear and it even has good high end.. no probably not quite as much sparkle up there as some super tweeters  would deliver but it's impressive what can be done with the parametric EQs in a processor like the DCX. If the tops were 12's instead the low/mids wouldn't have quite as much weight but it wouldn't be too shabby either, unless you compared it to a system with 15s side by side you wouldn't think you were missing anything and the 12's could be much smaller and easier to move. My dual 15s weigh 150lbs dues to a stack of ceramic magnet drivers inside and 44" tall baltic birch cabs, swap in neo drivers and that would drop to almost half the weight, and the cab can be smaller and lighter if smaller drivers are used too. But if you drop down to 10" mids then you'll likely miss some low/mid and want kick bins, so bottom line is design it as a complete system to start and you won't be disappointed.
[/QUOTE]

Hi Paul

couldn't agree with you any more. I have a similar setup with 18" dual BR ( which is brilliant compared to tape horns etc)  and single 15" mid high cab, that loaded with Faital 15FX560 and that combo seems to work the best. ive tried 12 inch cabs as mid high but could never get it to sound like what I have now. And the cherry on the top is that I can use the 15"mid cabs on its own when I don't need subs but also have decent output.

Rish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12