Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to do about this driver damage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do about this driver damage
    Posted: 20 May 2017 at 5:29pm
Hi guys, another drive fell onto/into this and damaged the cone and surround.  It still works fine though and I intend to use it in an HD15 (it's a Kappa 15FLA).  Presumably this has weakened the cone to some degree, do you think it's worth putting in the cab or staight off, reconning or is there any other remedial action that I can perform?

Thanks allSmile

Edited by Risc_Terilia - 20 May 2017 at 5:30pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 5:59pm
"It still works fine though"

No rubbing on the voicecoil?

You may get lucky, but I don´t think that driver will last too long, especially in a HD15.   Cry

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

"It still works fine though"

No rubbing on the voicecoil?

You may get lucky, but I don´t think that driver will last too long, especially in a HD15.   Cry

Nope no rubbing on the voicecoil at all.  
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:59pm
Without physically seeing the driver I would be tempted to just stick it in the cab and see what happens if there is no rubbing on the v/c. I've put a driver with a glued surround in a HD and it lasted surprisingly well. Ultimately it will need re-coning so you've nothing to lose basically. 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:13am
Yep. Spin it so the damaged bit is furthest away from where the hd15 is tightest, if that makes sense. It'll be under the least strain there. It could well last you for years to come.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 12:18am
If was used in HD 15, the crossover must be set 55Hz above with 18-24db/oct butt Low Cut, otherwise will fail membrana.

Edited by DjLeco - 21 May 2017 at 12:19am
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:41am
Originally posted by DjLeco DjLeco wrote:

If was used in HD 15, the crossover must be set 55Hz above with 18-24db/oct butt Low Cut, otherwise will fail membrana.

Im using them above x1s anyway so that's cool.

Thanks carvings I'll do that.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 1:58pm
I'd recone it straight away. That will cause flexing on the cone, which will make it rub and it will fail sooner than later and you will have to get it reconed. So save the hassle of having to put it into box and to take it out again soon, and just get it sorted before it goes in.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 9:36pm
I'd be inclined to agree with Pasi. If the coil starts to rub, there's a chance of a short circuit developing which the amplifier will not be happy with.

Just my 2p's worth....
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
 Post Reply Post Reply