Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

layering opposing eq to acheive phase shift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: layering opposing eq to acheive phase shift
    Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:12am
So just thinking out loud really ....

Just wondering about the phase summation of two opposite filters !

For example ....

1) -3db @100 Hz q= 2.6
2) +3db @100 Hz q= 2.6

Frequency curve will be as if no eq had been applied but what about phase responce , will it be 0 or will it be 45 degrees difference ??

Does the answer to the question change if it's a passive design or a digital design ?

Just thinking about ways to manipulate group delay

Edited by matty w - 24 May 2017 at 11:15am
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:37am
If you want to do that you're better off using allpass, FIR, or out of band EQ
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:50am
Originally posted by matty w matty w wrote:

So just thinking out loud really ....

Just wondering about the phase summation of two opposite filters !

For example ....

1) -3db @100 Hz q= 2.6
2) +3db @100 Hz q= 2.6

Frequency curve will be as if no eq had been applied but what about phase responce , will it be 0 or will it be 45 degrees difference ??

Does the answer to the question change if it's a passive design or a digital design ?

Just thinking about ways to manipulate group delay

Ignoring the type of filter and getting down to root transfer functions a bandpass filter with positive gain is going to be a group of poles situated near the centre frequency +-Wo on the left hand side of the complex plan y-axis.

Exactly the same filter in terms of (Wo, Q) but with negative amplitude will have zeros on the same locations. Phase shift is the sum of the angles from a point on the y-axis representing a frequency jw to all of the poles and zeros. Because they are in the same locations exactly then for any frequency it is pretty easy to show that there will always be zero phase shift due to the convolution of the filters. If you multiplied their transfer functions together then the result would almost certainly be unity, but I can't be arsed to try it :)

If you were clever there is probably a way of cascading filters in such a way to manipulate phase shift, but as was already said you'd probably be better off trying to do it with poles and zeros outside of your audio bandwidth of interest.
matty w View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:29pm
Thanks for the detailed responses , lost me a little bit but I'll mull it over !

Care to eleborate a little on out of band eq as an option ?

Unfortunately all pass linear phase Dsp is out of my financial reach atm but I'll get there ha ... Will get an xcillica one day

I actually think my speakers will benefit greatly from it due to there design
Black to black , red to red , blue to bits ....

Post Reply Post Reply