Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wadding in sub enclosures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wadding in sub enclosures
    Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:17am
Can I ask a question does or can BAF speaker wadding inside subs increase the sub's -3db frequency by slowing the air waves down? I've read it on the internet but I know you guys are experts because many of you build subs and stuff.

Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:25pm
Adding warding will reduce internal resonances in the cabinet. It will not make your speaker play any lower.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

Adding warding will reduce internal resonances in the cabinet. It will not make your speaker play any lower.

But it could potentially reduce phase errors from internal reflections and clear up some muddiness/give a negligible amount of LF extension or SPL increase...

making you low-end tight has got to be better yah? Toight like a toiger...
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

But it could potentially reduce phase errors from internal reflections and clear up some muddiness/give a negligible amount of LF extension or SPL increase...

making you low-end tight has got to be better yah? Toight like a toiger...

Surely equally likely to kill a resonance that is actually giving you a tiny amount more extension? Yeah agreed it's worth doing to toighten things up.

Edited by Risc_Terilia - 28 May 2017 at 1:41pm
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:44pm
LOL 'Potentially' 

Now excuse me I have some gold that needs letching over...
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 4:12pm
Presented without comment:

From the hi-fi world: (scroll down about 3/4 of the page) http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/vent_tuning.htm

From the larger/louder end of the scale: http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=79

richardstringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 9:05am
Thanks guys i'll leave it out then considering I might only get another 2hz lower at the -3db frequency and could lose about 5db spl output.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 10:13am
Thank you for the links Dmorrison. Very informative.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by richardstringer richardstringer wrote:

Thanks guys i'll leave it out then considering I might only get another 2hz lower at the -3db frequency and could lose about 5db spl output.

Why not try some and see if you like what it does expetimental style? It's not the end of the world to pull a driver and try it. That's what I plan to do with mine at the same time as tuning them.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by JonB67 - 29 May 2017 at 10:16am
richardstringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardstringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 10:24am
Yeah I could do I could load one side of one of my double 18" subs with the BAF wadding and one side without as the subs have seperate chambers which are air sealed. Then all i'd have to do is run the sub in discreet mode and connect one side to each side of the ampliifer and use the amplifier's input attenuators to switch between them and see if I could hear any difference.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:28pm
Not far off what I had in mind.   
 Post Reply Post Reply