Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garmin fitness tracker.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garmin fitness tracker.
    Posted: 29 May 2017 at 12:42pm
I bought a Garmin "Vivofit" fitness tracker/watch. Basically it counts your steps, and monitors sleep pattern.

In theory you should "sync" with your computer every day and the data is kept in your  account on  Garmin Express. You plug in an "Ant" stick to link the device to your computer.

To "sync" all that is required is to press the button on the watch untill the word "Sync" appears. Couldn't be simpler, even for me!!!

The problem is every time I sync the page displays a message to say there has been an error in syncing the device, and basically the days data doesn't appear. The only way I have found to make the damn thing work is to uninstall Garmin express. Re-install it and then pair the devices again. Then the data uploads.

It's a pain in the butt to do this every day. Is this likely to be the watch, the software, or something wrong with my computer.

Edited by markie - 29 May 2017 at 12:43pm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 8:18pm
Only simple thing to try is re-start pc with it connected (if it's cable).
It's everything, not everythink!
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 11:31am
I have something similar from TomTom, for tracking my Windsurfing and sailing exploits!

You may find it easier to sync to your phone, using the appropriate app, or 3rd Party App, and then let the app upload data to internet repository (i.e. link app to your account).

Phones tend to have all the necessary ant/bluetooth/kitchen sink connectivity built in from the outset, and phone apps know this.

My watch comes with TomTom (web) software and phone app, but loads of 3rd party apps can read the GPS data and give you plots of speed/place/time etc, and let you upload to comparison site of choice.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 11:49am
I don't have a phone, other than my land line.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

I don't have a phone, other than my land line.
Fair Enough - a cheap "surface", android pad or something may facilitate things?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 11:37am
Very cheap ass android tablet would be very helpful here.
Makes sure it's capable of running the latest operating system to boot!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply