Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cerwin Vega V152 Replacement Drivers???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighVelocitySounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cerwin Vega V152 Replacement Drivers???
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 12:24am
Hi there people of speaker plans, i am looking to replace the low mid driver in my cerwin vega v152's but am struggling to source some genuine drivers. Do any of you guys know what drivers i could replace these with, i have been told these drivers are capable of going with them but am not sure how they will go as these are 1000w and the originals are only 600w. 

Is anyone capable of shedding some light and has anyone replaced the low mid drivers in these speakers before?

Driver Link - http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUP1502226
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 3:12am
Sounds like you need to start shopping for another set of speakers. If you have blown all the drivers then you obviously need more output than these are capable of delivering, and substituting different drivers is a venture with pitfalls best avoided unless you really know what you are doing.
HighVelocitySounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighVelocitySounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:17am
i actually bought these with blown low mids and am looking to replace the drivers....
Majestic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:03pm
ive got a pair of peavey black widows for sale
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:59pm
There's no point in putting particularly special drivers in those boxes because the HF won't keep up.  If you want to get them working again you need a fairly light 15" with reasonable HF extension to meet the Piezo.

Something like this would probably be sensible:

or maybe:
or

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighVelocitySounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:34am
Thankyou very much for the reply, me and a friend was wondering this thats why i posted this. The original drivers are 600w peak so was thinking that if i was to put 1000w drivers in them would run into problems. Do you know if i would have to make any adjustments to the internal crossovers for replacement drivers or if i put some similar power rated drivers in would i be alright?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighVelocitySounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:35am
Whats the model number of the drivers and how much are you asking ?
WessexAudioMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WessexAudioMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:07am
Last set of half working V152's i aquired ended up being ditched. Drivers were expensive and poor quality, and with the HF being a peizo tweeter often found on low end budget kit it seemed pointless investing into them when i could pick up a decent branded pair of s/h speakers (rcf/JBL/logic) with a proper HF for the same cost as 2x half descents 15'' drivers and xovers.  Not only that the cerwin boxes are a poor grade build and have some unusual reflex porting so even with a decent 15'' driver you are fighting a loosing battle.  My 2 cents worth anyway.  

Edited by WessexAudioMan - 31 May 2017 at 10:08am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by HighVelocitySounds HighVelocitySounds wrote:

Thankyou very much for the reply, me and a friend was wondering this thats why i posted this. The original drivers are 600w peak so was thinking that if i was to put 1000w drivers in them would run into problems. Do you know if i would have to make any adjustments to the internal crossovers for replacement drivers or if i put some similar power rated drivers in would i be alright?

It's not that you'd have problems as such putting in much higher rated drivers, it's more that you won't get the benefit of them.

The only justification for buying some half decent drivers now is if you intended to build some new cabs in the near future, use those drivers and scrap the CV's.  If you just want to get the CV's working, there's no real point in putting in anything much better than what was there already.
 Post Reply Post Reply