Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound TMS-3 all-weather durability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Futendra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbosound TMS-3 all-weather durability
    Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:06pm
"In fact the system was left outdoors for the entire summer, come rain or shine, a real test of the TMS-3’s all-weather durability. As a direct result, a large TMS-3 system was used in the highly successful 1983 tour of Styx."

https://www.music-group.com/brand/turbosound/ourstory/1982

Is this true? Is the TMS-3 that weather resistant? Can it play perfectly fine in rain? Actually, how safe is it in general to let a system play in wet weather conditions without any covers or anything?
HighVelocitySounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HighVelocitySounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:14pm
Very bad, i heard of one case where a TMS 3 was left in the rain over a winter festival and it grew legs and ran away.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:19pm
Having done loads of damp outdoor gigs many years ago with our big Turbo rig, the only problem that we ever had was cones on the 10" mid drivers disintegrating--we cured the problem with a coat of waterproofing solution on the cone front and never had a single faulty driver after that.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:21pm
I used to leave my HD's out in the rain on purpose if they were getting a bit sticky, cleaned them right up!
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Futendra Futendra wrote:

"In fact the system was left outdoors for the entire summer, come rain or shine, a real test of the TMS-3’s all-weather durability. As a direct result, a large TMS-3 system was used in the highly successful 1983 tour of Styx."

https://www.music-group.com/brand/turbosound/ourstory/1982

Is this true? Is the TMS-3 that weather resistant? Can it play perfectly fine in rain? Actually, how safe is it in general to let a system play in wet weather conditions without any covers or anything?

Well, I just read through all that "Our Story" stuff, and it seems to be full of Corporate BS and inaccurate rewriting of history...

The system at the Opry was an indoor installation and I don't remember seeing any TMS3's there.

Oh, and the Floodlight was designed in 1992/93, not 2002 as they say here:
https://www.music-group.com/brand/turbosound/ourstory/2002

and the TurboMid Device was patented in 1977 by Tim Isaac, who doesn't get mentioned anywhere...

-----

But yes, most horn-loaded systems are OK in the rain,  although if they have the wheels on the back that only applies until you tip them over during the de-rig at which point they start filling up with water like little buckets...

Spent many a happy (not) hour tipping gallons of the stuff out of various rigs after festivals and outdoor gigs and dismantling the whole lot to dry out the drivers. Usuallly Martin F2, but a few Turbo rigs as well.

I suspect the system that was "left outdoors for the entire summer" had some kind of roof to keep the worst of the rain off.

Edited by madboffin - 01 June 2017 at 3:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply