Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Void inf8 @ 2.6 ohms stereo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Void inf8 @ 2.6 ohms stereo
    Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:57pm
Greetings my fellow soundmen

I'm in the process of buying a void inf8 mk2 (people I know near my location can sell 1 relatively cheap)

The aim is tu use this amp to power 6 superscoopers loaded with pd186 , 3 driver by side, stereo mode, so the equivalent nominal impedence would be 2.6 ohms (I read it would be more for that combo). Also we'll filter them 40-80Hz LR24

Music played (mainly reggae and dub, old and new) vary in dynamic range, but is bass heavy

From the specs and a online benchmark, this amp should be 2 ohms stable (so 2.6 ohms stable)
Also it should be enough power wise with some headroom, as the pd186 are rated @ 700W continuous

Of course I'll be plugging the amp on proper stable 230-240V 32a mains, with a 32A plug as stated in the manual (and playing only 4 scoops if theres only 16A available)

Also, we'll change cable to have 6mm² for 20 meters (we have 4mm² for 20 meters but we run 8ohms for know)

So in theory (from specs ) we should have no trouble with this setup.

However, while hijacking a thread on this very forum (sorry again guys Embarrassed) I've been told that some people had trouble with trying to run this amp @ 2.6 or 2 ohms.

I know that running 2ohms tends to put an amp (and the power supply) on his knees and the cones are less fast/controlled, so when the occasion (and money) will show up again we may buy another one for the peace of mind (and to run 8 scoops in the future) but in the meantime we'll need it to do the job.

So if have people experience with similar setup (win or fail) please come and share it with me Smile, or think this setup is wrong from specs.
I guess I know my basics (level/gain structure , unclipped signal, peak limited just in case but I'll always be monitoring to lower the level if the limiter kicks in and also HPF @ 40Hz) but I don't want to be too confident on this as obviously we don't want to cook drivers.

I'll be testing the amp first on 4 scoops but soon after we will be running the full system outdoors, with other artists playing so I'm a bit worried, but we'll have our previous amps just in case.

Thanks

Edited by JBK - 31 May 2017 at 8:01pm
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:19pm
Having used a similar amp with almost same specs ( ram bux 5.0 ) on 6 1200w and 1500w drivers i think the void will spank those 186s with ease and with nuff spl.

Edited by Sypa - 31 May 2017 at 9:20pm
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:22pm
Dunno about void clipping protection , the ram would be ran into soft clip alll night long but never scorched a driver.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 7:43pm
OK thanks for confirming, I got some people telling me that they're running this amp 2.6ohm without trouble (with greedier drivers than pd186) so we should be ok.
Also this amp seems to have correct protection but as always I guess it's down to the user
Now I'm wondering for 8 Tongue but that's just theorically!

Edited by JBK - 02 June 2017 at 7:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply