Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossover
    Posted: 07 June 2017 at 9:38pm
I've got one Fane md2151 8ohm compression driver and horn, with a pair of 12" 200w 8ohm drivers (frequency response 30hz - 4.2khz) what crossover should I use? These 3 drivers will be loaded in a SMT 212 midtop

Many thanks
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 9:23am
Go active, eg. DCX2496 and save yourself a lot of problems.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
George1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 1:40pm
Thanks, I'm working on a budget at the moment, in the future I aim to buy one for when my system grows - for the now what can I do on a budget?
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 2:18pm
Depends what you're going to use for amplification - if you're shopping new you could choose models with crossovers built in (Yammi PX, QSC GXD, Crown XLS, Sampson SXD for example) and skip the DCX.

Even if shopping second hand, a second, lower powered amp to drive your Highs won't be that much more, you could even get by with an analogue crossover (albeit without the benefits of time alignment and EQ in the DCX etc) to get you started.

Passive crossovers have to be built to match the exact drivers/cab used if you want to get anywhere near the best out of the system, and that tends to take both time and money so isn't necessarily cheaper than biamping.

Using an off the shelf passive crossover just won't ever match up to the drivers/cab as well (most are built assuming both passbands are the same impedance for example), using one of those would result in the corner for one driver being off by as much as an octave.

HTH,
David.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 3:40pm
"Using an off the shelf passive crossover just won't ever match up to the drivers/cab as well (most are built assuming both passbands are the same impedance for example), using one of those would result in the corner for one driver being off by as much as an octave."

+1

Amps are cheap. Biamping is far better than messing around with passive xovers.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
George1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 4:15pm
Okay, so if I were to get an active crossover and an amp to match, that'll be fine to power it? How does the wiring work?
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 4:27pm

https://youtu.be/35ShkaBQQAI

Have a look at this video
 Post Reply Post Reply