Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

heat sinks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heat sinks
    Posted: 12 June 2017 at 8:44pm
I have some fane drivers that are missing their heatsinks from the magnets. would the 18xb model fit onto the 18b magnet? they look to be same diameter on spec sheet but i can't tell if screw fittings would match up?
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 8:59pm
they should do.. 

think its the cone itself thats actually different 

error 404
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 10:20pm
 I've often wondered if the heatsinks on Fane drivers actually make much difference to the working temperature of the driver. If you take the Fane drivers fitted to Turbo and FK1 boxes for example, they have no heatsinks and live in very tight sealed chambers and seem to survive just fine under normal conditions. Confused  
 Also, I tried to remove a heatsink from an XB once just out of curiosity and it seemed to be glued as well as screwed, if indeed they are glued (and not just corroded on as I didn't try too hard to pull it off) wouldn't the glue isolate the heatsink from the magnet?

Edited by njw - 12 June 2017 at 10:24pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

I've often wondered if the heatsinks on Fane drivers actually make much difference to the working temperature of the driver. If you take the Fane drivers fitted to Turbo and FK1 boxes for example, they have no heatsinks and live in very tight sealed chambers and seem to survive just fine under normal conditions. Confused  
 Also, I tried to remove a heatsink from an XB once just out of curiosity and it seemed to be glued as well as screwed, if indeed they are glued (and not just corroded on as I didn't try too hard to pull it off) wouldn't the glue isolate the heatsink from the magnet?

They don't though. They live with their magnets in the horn not in the rear chamber.
Mikkel View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 11:49pm
cheers guys. now to find some knackered XB's...
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 12:45am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

They don't though. They live with their magnets in the horn not in the rear chamber.

They do in any Turbo bin TSW-718 and prior?
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 9:05am
Fane 18" heatsinks are purely cosmetic and are there just to make the driver look butch--we used to get fed up with them falling off and rattling around inside the cabinet so the first thing we used to do when fitting a new driver was to remove the heatsink--it does not make a scrap of difference to the performance, reliability and overheating etc.
If they were that important then why are they not fitted to any Fane OEM drivers.

Edited by Robbo - 13 June 2017 at 9:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply