Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

recomended courier for high value item

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recomended courier for high value item
    Posted: 13 June 2017 at 9:57pm
I need to courier a digital desk worth about £2000 , can anyone recommend a company ?
I've used interparcel/UPS lots of times plus a fair few other companies. but to insure to the full value in with these courier companies in this case is proving expensive between £50-£100 on top of the usual £10-£15 for the basic service, any recommendations ?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Kobe Kobe wrote:

I need to courier a digital desk worth about £2000 , can anyone recommend a company ?
I've used interparcel/UPS lots of times plus a fair few other companies. but to insure to the full value in with these courier companies in this case is proving expensive between £50-£100 on top of the usual £10-£15 for the basic service, any recommendations ?

Really the key is in your packaging of the item. It should be nothing short of bomb proof and you will be fine. Do not use the bottom feeders in the parcel game such as Hermes etc, go for UPS or TNT. Insure the delivery for the full value of the item and you will be fine. Take plenty of photos of your (of course high quality) packaging before you send to help with a potential claim if it makes your life easier.

For best protection knock up a wooden crate out of ply and bracing supports. Put tip and tell shock indicators inside it if you like. Be aware of the requirements for heat treated wood if you are shipping internationally.

Send an item worth £80k a few months back via cargo crate internationally, was absolutely fine over many road and sea couriers. But I packed it and secured with bolts into a wooden baffle and supporting crate. Nothing short of a direct hit with an armor piercing round was damaging that.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 10:37pm
you can set up a credit card account with UPS directly, off their website. It'll be cheaper for the high value goods than through a parcel broker whose insurance surcharges for high values are pretty exorbitant.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 11:07pm
Second UPS. Their insurance payout is virtually no quiblle and fast around 3 weeks. Royal mail special delivery advertise clearly  their payout is a week making them the fastest of all couriers, in reality expect to wait over 6 months.  

Safest way tho is by pallet. And £2000 insurance is relatively low in their game so you wont pay masses of charges for it.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 2:19am
UPS all the way if the desk is small enough for them to move...

Where from <> to, a drive may be a plan...

:-)

Kobe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 8:43am
thanks for the advice ,  I never thought  to go direct to UPS ,   great idea ...
interparcel/UPS being , 30kg insured to £2k , £100
pallet courier comes to about £70 + £60 for insurance, so £130. 
direct with UPS it's only £45 ! 

it's to get a Yamaha LS9 over to SSE Redditch for a service , it'd be about a 350 miles round trip for me, so fuel is comparable .
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 10:33am
I know 350 miles of fuel is money, as is your time, but I would be tempted to personally drop off and collect.

Saying that all manufacturers deliver to you by UPS/TNT et Al., and I'm sure they wouldn't suffer to high a failure rate.

Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 10:47am
I'll suppress my urge to say what I think you should use to move any Yamaha desk in Yamaha Flight Case but TBH UPS fully insured or 700 miles driving (I assume you are 175 miles away so 2 trips of 350) I would be def UPS.

But another option is see if SSE have nay shows nearer to you and drop it off to a crew in our area maybe?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 4:12pm
If you must use UPS I would strongly recommend you take photographs of the parcel with a tape measure showing all dimensions.

Last year I had a problem in this respect. I sent a parcel with declared measurements of 58 x 58 x 2cm. Apparently they have some sort of measuring machine that measured the parcel as 136 x 113 x 7cm , and sent me a bill for £55.00 surcharge.

Now, as many forum members will testify I am pretty good at "tape measurin'". Contents of the parcel were 6 grills, max size 55 x 55, and since each sheet is only 1.5mm my declared measurements were slightly OVER.

I spent HOURS, disputing their claim and eventually they "Agreed to waive the surcharge".

I then started a system where the driver signs for the parcel to the effect that dimensions are correct. No other courier had a problem with this but 2 UPS drivers flat out refused.

I don't use UPS any more.

Edited by markie - 16 June 2017 at 4:13pm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply