Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What low/mid cabs ontop of Othorns?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractalcone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What low/mid cabs ontop of Othorns?
    Posted: 20 June 2017 at 5:49pm
As we come closer to beginning construction on 12 x Othorn's, we still can't make a solid decision on which kick cabs to build. My partner seems to be leaning towards the ES15's, running either PD's or Fane Col.

While this system will be predominantly catering to the full spectrum of electronic music (specifically Psytrance and DnB) we would also like to appeal to a more varied audience, catering occasionally to festivals that also feature live performance/instruments, from styles such as Fat Freddys Drop to Beats Antique to Mad Professor.

Here's some info

- Othorn's are from Rici's original cnc template, running the B&C 21SW152-4 drivers
- Amplifiers are Powersoft K20's (dsp and non-dsp versions)
- A&H Qu-24 mixer
- Tops are potentially looking like Meyer MSL4 or Turbosound TFL760h (options are limited due to isolated part of world we live in) or something similar

Any more suggestions would be much appreciated..... my brain is turning to moosh Confused

Edited by fractalcone - 20 June 2017 at 5:58pm
fractalcone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractalcone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 5:56pm

Edited by fractalcone - 20 June 2017 at 5:58pm
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 7:26pm
you`d need a kickfiller to cross over to "usual" 2-3way hornloaded cabs like the ones mentioned..!
sub 25ish to 80ish, kick 80ish to 160ish, tops 160ish up..

Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 7:42am
If you aren't too concerned about size, a 115 flh is a cost effective and efficient way to go. 4 each side gets tops above head height and lets you mono sub. The w-bin layout has a number of advantages and if designed well can really sing. + @1200 wide they're accomodating to tops
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 1:23pm
The question I would be asking would be "do I ever want to leave the Othorns at home and still be able to do gigs with the rest of the system?"

If yes, I'd consider dual 15" reflex for kick.

If not, the choice would depend on the high x-over point to the tops i.e. straight or bandpass horns for high x-over (e.g. inna style of Martin 215mk2, Selenium 1505c1), folded if you don't need such a high x-over (e.g. ES15).

Edited by darkmatter - 21 June 2017 at 3:11pm
fractalcone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractalcone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

The question I would be asking would be "do I ever want to leave the Othorns at home and still be able to do gigs with the rest of the system?"

The system is catering to specific and existing clients each year, and will always remain as one (apart from the old backyard bbq LOL)

moyano View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 9:35pm
primes....

Post Reply Post Reply