Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bbe sound maximizer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bbe sound maximizer
    Posted: 27 June 2017 at 9:24am
I wanted to know if i was to use a bbe sound maximizer can i still also use an active x over
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 11:27am
Yes,it goes before the active x-over....ie...

mixer------> BBE------->active crossover------->amps.

Be seeing you.
vrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 6:34pm
Thank you
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 2:33pm
There used to be a video on Youtube showing one of those things hooked up to a signal analyser. It's been taken down now. Presumably at the behest of BBE as it probably contained trademarked information. It was otherwise not a very positive review.

The "process" seemed to be not much more than a 2-band EQ ie one knob gives more/less bass and the other more/less treble. This according to the curves on the analyser. That's pretty much what it sounds like too.

As I recall though, the most concerning feature of the unit on test was that it effected a highpass filter (completely cut out the bass) when in "bypass" mode. So that would fool any inexperienced user into thinking the unit was adding loads more bass when put into "processing" mode. A dirty trick if ever there was one! If you were able to insert it on one half of a stereo pair and A/B them, you would easily discover this.

If you got one cheap or can borrow - try it out carefully. If you're thinking about buying one at full price - I wouldn't bother!

Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 3:28pm
I always considered these a bit more of a pre-processing device, like to make really 'thin' sounding guitars or synths a bit more..... well, a bit less sh1t.
I tried one on my 1st rig, & it was rubbish, and clipped early.
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
vrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 3:52pm
Thanks for the feedback i had seen a lot of videos on you tube but they never really well deep enough into the unit on a whole so thats why i thought to ask the question here 
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 4:20pm
It's a long time since I tried one of these, but I have a strong memory of it having a bad effect on the signal quality.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 5:40pm
Buy 4 and daisy chain them for maximum effect. Sounds amazing (x4)
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 6:45pm
^ LOL  So that's about + 60db bass and treble boost then?  Will sound just like Bose!

I had a couple of these BBE's...with a simple pair of 'disco' type speakers you can get a half-decent sound,but nothing you cant really do with a decent eq section of the mixer..although one weird function of the BBE unit was to reverse the phase, particually noticable when processing just one channel of a stereo mix.
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply