Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good budget lighting recommendations??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good budget lighting recommendations??
    Posted: 21 November 2014 at 9:03pm
I need some more lighting but not really sure what to buy. I currently have a couple of Acme scanners and a American DJ Dekker. 
I don't want to spend a huge amount, say a couple of hundred quid, but I am flexible on that. I was thinking along the lines of a couple of second hand mini mac moving heads, but would these be too similar to my scanners? Had Solar 250s before but I am sure there would be something better for my money.

It is mainly for playing trendy type bars with deep house, psychedelica, and sometimes groovy sixties type stuff. It's not really rave type music so a laser probably wouldn't be suitable?

Any lights out there which are a lot of bang for the buck?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2014 at 10:17pm
I have a pair of iMove i5s.... and maybe a small control desk..

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
azlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2014 at 10:43pm
I would look at getting a bunch of cheap-ish slim LED cans,the ones with a couple of large LEDs behind a common lens, ideally with a double yoke to use on the floor when needed.

After that, a couple of compact moving head spots (with funky gobos) and something like titan one or chamsys to control it all off a laptop would give you a solid starting poibt.

A haze machine would be a good shout too, although it may not get as much use in bars as the rest of the LX gear
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2014 at 10:49pm
Have a pair of robe club scans. Great lights. Message me if interested
emperorfaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2014 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

I have a pair of iMove i5s.... and maybe a small control desk..

I was looking at smaller compact heads like the Mini Macs but if they are a good price feel free to drop us a message.

Originally posted by azlan azlan wrote:

I would look at getting a bunch of cheap-ish slim LED cans,the ones with a couple of large LEDs behind a common lens, ideally with a double yoke to use on the floor when needed. 

After that, a couple of compact moving head spots (with funky gobos) and something like titan one or chamsys to control it all off a laptop would give you a solid starting poibt. 

A haze machine would be a good shout too, although it may not get as much use in bars as the rest of the LX gear

Got haze, but instead of cans I have my eye on a couple of led bars as i think they are more compact when i am in tight spaces.

Originally posted by supremesoundz supremesoundz wrote:

Have a pair of robe club scans. Great lights. Message me if interested

Already have some scanners but thanks anyway.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2014 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by emperorfaith emperorfaith wrote:

It is mainly for playing trendy type bars with deep house, psychedelica, and sometimes groovy sixties type stuff. It's not really rave type music so a laser probably wouldn't be suitable?

If this is what you're playing then visually, a load of flashing moving beams changing colour isn't really what you want. For deep house look for more setting a colour mood in the venue. Led pars in deep reds and/or congo Blues on static (not flashing) washing the walls, picking out features, light level as low as you can get away with, Get moody and stylish.... For the groovy and psyc, get the solars back with a few well chosen cassettes and put some more exciting vibrant colours in the LEDs and with a hazer you will get some good beams from the solars that won't be all flashy colour changing disco dave.

Although you can get plenty of interesting sound to light units, 20 years ago Highend made the Trackspot and its still not been beaten, seriously! Very often a little creativity with lighting can make more of a difference to a gig than an sonic improvement in a PA. A control system like Chamsys or Titan will help but on the smaller shows without an operator, static so often looks better than a sound to light gig.

I may get shot down for this but one of the best Cheap S2L units I've used is the Geni XTC. It puts loads of colour in a room moving around in a way that just says "Party Choons!! without looking really random.

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 22 November 2014 at 11:47pm
blah blah blah blah blah......
azlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2014 at 11:51am
If you can get hold of some second hand, clay packy mini scan's area a really good compact moving mirror fixture (as opposed to a moving head) that can chuk out a lot of light, supports gobos etc..
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2014 at 6:38pm
A couple of megabars can fill a room with colour quite easily, can be used for moody uplighting too.
You can't polish a turd!
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 1:22pm
Seriously, get a couple of used Solar 250's off ebay, get a couple of custom 'fast moving' oil wheels from Lightning Rod/Bubblevision off ebay, a couple of wide angle lenses and you're totally sorted.
Randomly evolving movement, 'painting' of the environment rather than trying to light 'the air/stuff' is totally the thing.

Used Solars are about £100 a throw for the unit, £40 for a wheel, you could have 2 ready to run for £300.

Best thing is, if you decide you don't like them in 2 years, you can sell and get your money back. You're kinda just 'borrowing' them from the internet, with a deposit.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Seriously, get a couple of used Solar 250's off ebay, if you decide you don't like them in 2 years, you can sell and get your money back. You're kinda just 'borrowing' them from the internet, with a deposit.

Norty, this should be your sig. I love it!

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply