Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great source of grille foam for compact builds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great source of grille foam for compact builds
    Posted: 05 November 2014 at 12:15pm
I wanted to add acoustic foam to the grille on one of the builds I'm working on but the usual thicknesses weren't good enough - 5mm, 6mm, etc, as they added more depth to the baffle than I wanted.

The long and the short of it is: Fan filters are where it's at.

Available in various sizes up to around 150mm (maybe larger but not that I've seen), 3-3.5mm thickness, 45ppi (apparently 35ppi is the norm but 45 is near as damn it and at very small formats and thicknesses like this, the extra density probably helps with the aesthetic)

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 12:29pm
You can also use speaker cloth.

Get a can of super-glue spray (or just use normal super-glue and a brush). Take rubber ring of the grill. Spread super-glue on the grill. Put the speaker cloth on top and make it smooth. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Cut away excess speaker cloth. Put rubber ring back on.

Edited by Saturnus - 05 November 2014 at 12:29pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 12:42pm
Yep that works too - there is something about the acoustic foam that really does it for me though, probably due to all the times I tried to make love to an Opus stack.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 12:48pm
How do you keep the foam in place? I'm considering this instead of a grill but I think it can fall out pretty easily.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 12:50pm
I don't know :) I was going to try the superglue method Saturnus mentioned (as well as, not instead of a grille) and hope for the best.

I think if you use foam this flimsy instead of a grille you're leaving your drivers exposed to damage, unless they're for indoor use only.

Edited by Hemisphere - 05 November 2014 at 12:56pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 12:54pm
I wanted to go the same route as KWB75 with his Monacor mini box. Maybe apply glue to the sides and then push it in the cutout. If KWB75 reads this: how did you do it and does it stay in place well?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 3:41pm
If you really want something nice and have the patience to do it then in these sizes it's much better to make the grills yourself out of screen door metal mesh. You just hammer it into shape. Hard to explain really and takes a little practice but it'll give you far superior grills than anything you can buy.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 4:07pm
Do you have any example pictures?
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 4:35pm
I always have loads of offcuts  of proper grill 1.5mm thick 4mm perfs 60% open area.  If somebody want to pay the postage I can send a load to someone who could distribute it around all these mini projects.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply