Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Group buy 3fe22 anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 3:29pm
http://www.audiomate.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Monacor-SPH-30X%2F4-Mini-Full-Range-Speaker-3-inch-50W-4Ohm&gclid=COCj_6PY1MECFUrpwgodg1sAuw 

Audiomate are doing them for £23.77 now.

It would be interesting to find out what their wholesale price is. They seem very well designed drivers but the production cost must be low given their size and weight. 
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 3:36pm
Neo magnet and kevlar cone are not very cheap features.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 3:54pm
True, the bulk of the cost certainly comes from there, neodymium is about £60 a kilo now. I guess there's about 75 grams of it in these drivers, that's about £4.50. It's a wonder the Faital drivers could be so cheap. Can't be much margin in that.

Edited by Hemisphere - 30 October 2014 at 3:55pm
EdTheProfet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdTheProfet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

UK retail price of £20 (hard to find in 4ohm also I think) and I'm going to need 12 of them, but not more if I can help it so I need to find a home for the other 24.

Have you considered asking us what deal we can do and if we'd mind ordering the 4 ohm for you? You might find you actually get the drivers, at a great price and without a shedload of hassle... Distributors are there for a reason and we are very approachable, mostly ;)
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 5:22pm
The Monacor version is a slightly modified OEM version of the p.audio original. I personally prefer the original... it's also cheaper. The p.audio original is as far as I know also the driver used in the Mini-Rig.

Edited by Saturnus - 30 October 2014 at 5:26pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 5:35pm
I didn't open it up to check but when I had a Minirig I shone a light through the grille and it looked like a paper cone to me.

Thanks for the offer Ed, I'm still considering options, as mentioned price is really the major deciding factor as I've already gone way over the usual festive spend for this project.

I also considered the Monacor SP8 4 SQ ( http://www.audiomate.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Monacor-SP-8%2F4SQ-Mini-Loudspeaker-4Ohm-20W.max-88.5mm&gclid=CJ2_9-_11MECFWXnwgodw2UAcQ )because that would bring the overall spend down from £30 to £20 - at some sacrifice of quality and efficiency I'm sure but keeping in mind this is meant as an alternative for socks or a boardgame or something.

I found this in relation to the SP8

I'm not sure how accurate that is but it seems to suggest it would do the trick. Monacor doesn't post TS parameters which is very suspicious but this looks like a measurement, possibly guessed parameters to match the curve.

Edited by Hemisphere - 30 October 2014 at 6:09pm
EdTheProfet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdTheProfet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 6:09pm
No problem, it's always worth asking for a discount (sometimes even on Monacor tat!).. we do like to look after speakerplans members :)

Very interested to see how the project turns out.. I might have to borrow a few ideas! What are you thinking for batteries?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 6:13pm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-Mobile-Power-Bank-Charger-for-2x-18650-Rechargeable-Battery-USB-5V-/390916329896?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&var=&hash=item5b046dd1a8

+ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-UltraFire-18650-4200mAh-3-7V-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-for-LED-Flashlight-/400766636923?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item5d4f8d937b 

The 5v charger may be rubbish and there's gotta be something wrong with the batteries for 82p each... but if it powers up at all it's a success and with a 6w peak amplifier is bound to last a good amount of time.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 6:23pm
Incidentally I thought I should post this for the sheer wtf-ness:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-20pcs-PAM8403-module-Super-mini-digital-amplifier-board-2-3W-Class-digital-amplifier-board/2044214288.html

That's 20p.

20 pence, delivered, for a 6 watt class D amplifier circuit..

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

I didn't open it up to check but when I had a Minirig I shone a light through the grille and it looked like a paper cone to me.

Pretty sure it is not though Wink

Mostly because Davey_T himself writes the p.audio pa20k/4 are the drivers used in the Mini-Rig in this old thread http://forum.speakerplans.com/pa20k-4_topic18323.html

Edited by Saturnus - 30 October 2014 at 7:00pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 7:12pm
Okay, well I trust my eyes :D kevlar is pretty distinctive with a light shone on it - textured not smooth. I think that was one of the driver used in prototyping, along with the sph30x and probably others too.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 9:20am
Yea it's not that p.audio/monacor driver in the Minirig and it's not a paper cone either- that wouldn't last long! But I have some Monacor SPH-30X 4ohm drivers left if anyone wants to buy a few. £10 each a fair price? 

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=Monacor_SPH-30X_4_3_inch_4_ohm_Kevlar_Cone_full_range_driver&id=MON104400

I have a load of 6" sub drivers too.. can't remember the exact specs but they were going cheap on parts express a while ago and had a nice low fs and decent xmax. 

Minirig portable soundsystem movement
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>