Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handle placement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handle placement
    Posted: 15 April 2016 at 9:22am
So i am building 8 small 15'' BR cabs soon to fill the gap between basically nothing and 18'' Tapped horns as subs. The design is as good as finished im just deciding on handle placement.
cabs are 70 deep, 43.6 high and 60 wide and are on wheels. 
I have basically three options.
  1.  two handles oriented vertically
  2. one handle in the middle oriented vertically
  3. one handle towards the front of the cab oriented horizontally 
Which would you choose and why? Or something else i have not listed?
Cost considerations aside, i just want easy handling.

Best regards,
Teun.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 9:49am
Put the two handles on the side but make them a squared cutout with X shaped round overs and just put one of the plastic or metal back bowls on - then you can grab them from any position.

Similar to these:

Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 10:49am
If i would be doing something like that i would get the Adam hall 3403. to router the handles is not a problem, but painting them on the inside, having to mount a backdish etc. are all practical concerns i would like to avoid.
The cab is 70*60*43 so pretty small (relative to my normal large system).  Option on the upper right would mean it could be easily pulled during offloading and lifted over bumps etc. 
If its used as a sub it just has to be tilted on its side. If two are used as subs, its still only a simple tilt. If its used as kick/lowmid for my larger system, it has to be lifted 1.0m off the ground onto the sub, doable without handles. I dont have any other uses for it atm.

I'm just thinking out loud, i really cant make up my mindSleepy
Best regards,
Teun.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 10:55am
It's not really any extra effort than cutting a hole and mounting the Adam Hall handle, still four bolts just on hte other side of the woodwork - where it'll look much neater too, but fair dos.

If going for bar handles, then these are the best kind:
http://www.adamhall.com/en/Adam_Hall_Hardware_EVOLUTIVE_HANDLE_-_Ergonomic_recessed_handle._two-piece.html

And I would always put at least one in each orientation you'll ever be lifting the box, there's nothing worse than twisting your body just to get a box in the van.
pdr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 11:00am
Handles on each side with the bar in a vertical plane so you lift with your hands in a natural position and pull the cab back to your chest, this is usually your strongest way to move something, plus if the grill is facing away you have less chance of putting your knee through it or scratching it with jacket zips etc.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 11:12am
bar handles are ok, but lift it wrong and your wrist will hurt for a week. Defo 4 way is the way to go.

Edited by bee - 15 April 2016 at 11:12am
https://www.elements-audio.com
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 11:31am
Out of the options in the Original post number 3 is definately the best option in my opinion. That's what I did when I built a similar cab.
However, as the others have said bar handles probably aren't the best bet for this type of cab.
If I was building the cab I made again I would make the handles just circular cut-outs with a back box inside.
Looks neater, can pick up from any angle, cheaper as no handles to buy & I also wouldn't have had to have the handles powder coated to match the cab.
What Bee said about hurting your wrists is spot on. I've done that several times lifting many types of bass bin.
Cheers, Chris.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 1:17pm
How heavy are the cabs?

If you can't go for multiposition handles, I'd go for a pair near the front to help with tilting on and off the castors and pair at 90degrees to help with lifting into vans etc.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 1:35pm
I would go for third option. these cabs are relatively small and light. the handle is just for lifting it over steps and rough ground whilst wheeling it - a bar handle is better for this sort of lifting as you can do it with the back of your hand toward the cab and walk with it. if you need to lift the cabs on top of something high you would flip them so the wheels are pointing up and then lift with the bar handle and the other hand steadying the top.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 1:38pm
Well there are a few restrictions. I did a prototype of this cab before reconsidering it now.
The prototype was okay, but that was about it. It had four rectangular ports in the corners of the cab. These were tuned correctly, but the port contribution to the overall SPL wasnt great. Chuffing was also noticeable. glad i didnt built 8 of those.
So now im going for 2 round PVC ports near the side of the cab. To allow for low vent velocity (max 30m/s) the diameter has to be about 110mm so standard 125mm (-6 for the walls) PVC tubing is used. This limits the placement of the ports to the side of the front baffle around the woofer. One upper right, one lower right. ( or left side but thats trivial).
So as much as i would like 4 way handles, doing it DIY with a wooden rear cover is not an option due to the ports being in the way.
So somebody might now suggest a slot port down the side, but this would give the same results, and im not going back to the four corner ports. 
This limits the handle placement and type a bit.
I could go 4way handles such as the Adam hall 3403 though, i just dont think it looks goodLOL
Also i should have noted that i still have about 50 new bar handles laying around LOL...
Best regards,
Teun.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 1:54pm
I would go for round ports in each corner so that you always get air convection through the cab whichever way it is stacked.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 2:01pm
Top right position for me. Easy to use when lifting or tipping of from its wheels. When stacking, that's for one hand and the other grabs from the wheels or bottom side of the cabinet.

Lifting of these mainly happens when they are on their wheels.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>