Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Haze Fluid - Manufacturer or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haze Fluid - Manufacturer or not?
    Posted: 10 February 2016 at 7:46pm
So I'm about to make a Thomann order. I'm just about to acquire a Jem Technohaze.

So I know manufacturers claim you should use their own brand but Jem Pro Haze is £35 for 9.5l compared to Stairville PHF Pro Haze fluid is £11 for 5l. I was about to order 5 bottles.

Is there any difference? I've heard rumours that its been formulated to be similar to the Jem stuff. Can anyone shed any light?
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 8:09pm
glycol vaporised at the wrong temp can either give you very wet fog that leaves residue, or if too hot can cause the production of some very nasty compounds that are very toxic.

different machines run their blocks at different temperatures - some of the Concept machines i have here can change the block temp depending on what fluid you are running but you don't have that luxury on the Jem.

Unless the fluid is officially sanctioned then i strongly recommend sticking with the specified fluid - as least that way what comes out the front should be safe and you should also avoid blocking the machine.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 10:19pm
Technohaze takes the 2.5l bottles.

Buying it by the 2.5l bottle as apposed to the 9.5l isnt a huge difference in price and works out alot easier.

Always use Jem fluid in a Jem machine.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 1:07pm
A lot depends on the machine - I won't use anything other than Look/Smoke Factory/HazeBase haze fluids in my SF/HB machines.

For a lot of the cheap fazer type machines I don't think it makes a lot of difference - they still break regardless!
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 1:30am
just add (tap) water to make it last longer OuchLOL
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 3:18am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Technohaze takes the 2.5l bottles.

Buying it by the 2.5l bottle as apposed to the 9.5l isnt a huge difference in price and works out alot easier.

Always use Jem fluid in a Jem machine.

clear enough??? Smile

Given the cost of the machine, if you want to pikey it buy a smoke machine from Asda!
bruce@bluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 5:44am
On a lighter note, I used to supply smoke fluid to a club that had a nasty habit of not paying for it. One day I had finally had enough, got a five litre container and relieved myself in it after dining on a large bowl of asparagus soup. I proceeded to top it up with prop glycol and water. I saw the manager about month later who informed the smoke started to smell really foul then seized up totally. I had quite little laugh to myself Dead   
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 6:41am
That was professional then. People had to breathe that in.
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
bruce@bluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 6:48am
This is Africa it's not for sissies, you adapt or die
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 12:14pm
Little story that confirms the very wet fog thing :

Last year we renewed the whole sound and light rig in a well known club in Antwerp.
Against our advice to use the proper fluid for every smoke/haze machine as intended, they opted to use some cheap generic fluid they ordered online somewhere (to spare a few pennies). "We used it before in other smoke/hazer machines, it's okay, don't worry 'bout it... we have this covered..."
All went "well" for about a month or so and than one after the other of about every fixture that was more or less in the exhaust pad of the smoke/haze machines, started to behave erratic and @ random working or not. Long story short... it took us 5 men and a solid week work to get everything down, check/dismantle/clean/repair of about 40 fixtures. We knew what the problem was, but even so, we were stunned how much oil came out of the fixtures. The ones with fans were really nasty, oil dripping literally everywhere. Two heads even not repairable at all, because many circuit boards and connectors were corroded beyond repair. There was also a beamer total loss, an active loudspeaker cab that sounded funny and buzzing, curtains to be dry-cleaned, wall/ceiling/trussing, you name it, all to be cleaned by us and the local cleaning staff had to do overtime like never before. The ventilation system filters were to be replaced, it seemed like the problems kept popping up without and end in sight.
It was hands down the worst case of "wet fog" damage I have ever seen, but it shows how fast and how hard things can go wrong when fluid is not matched for your machine. The moral of the story : use the correct fluid for your machine. In the case I described above, they wanted to spare maybe a few hundred Euro a year and ended up with a very unwelcome bill of 5 digits on top of the recent purchase/install of the rig. Timing could not have been worse for them. It was a very expensive lesson and it was avoidable.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by bruce@bluff bruce@bluff wrote:

5.9!!!!LOL
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2016 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by bruce@bluff bruce@bluff wrote:

Sounds amazing!

I'd love it knowing that every public bar/club i went to I was breathing in someones vaporized piss. Looking to see if I can emigrate as we speak. 

Edited by Jimmer - 12 February 2016 at 5:54pm
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>