Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Haze machine selection help please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haze machine selection help please
    Posted: 28 June 2016 at 10:02am
Hi guys

Hope you are all good,

I am looking for a reliable haze machine for my band and duo gigs, I have had loads of cheap Smoke machines in the past but I'm considering a more upmarket choice in the hope I get more than 6 months out of it.

So I see there is a 400 euro jump from the cheap models to this Martin job which I am considering.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/martin_magnum_2500_hz_hazer.htm

From the likes of this

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_hz_200_compact_hazer_dm_bundle.htm

So it's the nags head not live aid, both units are covered by 3 year warranty,

What do you think!?

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 10:31am
i have the martin one. it makes good haze but i don't think i'd recommend it. the controller it comes with has a timer... which is troublesome. you can set it to come on and go off at certain intervals.. but if you set the interval too short, it just shows an error and pretty much stops working.

you can control it by dmx if you get the separate dmx board add on though..

if you google problems with it you'll find a lot of people have had this problem, and it's a problem with the firmware in the machine. and i was told that to get it sorted i'd have to send it to a martin dealer etc... i sort of got distracted from sorting it out though. it did occur to me at some point that maybe i could just send the chip to a martin dealer for upgrading but i never followed up on it.

anyway.. it's ok in use. but really i think you could do a lot better for the money.
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 10:45am
Thanks so much

It seems the cheaper unit I suggested has a similar problem but gets good reviews and I understand using dmx alleviates the problem.

It's just odd that these units seem to have a no mans land between 200 and 600 quid. .?

Cheers
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 10:55am
do you want one with a timer or how would you like it to work? i know you play during your shows so probably don't have time to be fiddling (it doesn't have a foot switch...)

or would the old smoke machine green and red button system work better? i really don't know much about them though. i've owned one antari smoke machine that the pump siezed up on, and now this.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 12:35pm
Our budget hazer is the Antari z350. More stairville end of the budget, but they have done well for the past few years, especially with the way some of our freelancers treat them! Only one in the workshop at present, with a bad pump, spares are easily available and cheap. Takes any generic smoke fluid, and runs fairly quiet. Doesn't hold a lot of fluid, but then you won't be running it for 3 days straight like we often do
Pbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 1:53pm
Having jumped around the hazer budget spectrum a good bit, the cheaper semi-disposable models like the z350 are the way to go until you get the wallet level for a unique or radiance or something like that. That seems to be the price threshold where you can stop expecting malfunctions for no apparent reason. That said, for the most part, hazers are very simple machines, they just need more time being maintained - mostly cleaning - than people give them. Have purchased a few at junk bin prices that just needed attention.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 2:34pm
Hi guys

Thanks for all the comments, yes I need a remote of some sort while my old brain gets around programming and dmx and all that other stuff.

I might juts try a 200 ish euro model and see how that goes, probably check out some maintenance vides on YouTube too

Many thanks

Kev
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 3:05pm
Look Solutions Unique 2.1 - we've had a couple, as well as installed a fair few.

Never had one die or play up on us, great bit of kit.
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 4:54pm
If looking at the unique then also consider the tour hazer, essentially the same machine but flightcased in a slightly nicer form. Worth the extra few quid, transport pretty much any way up. That's one of our non - budget options, along with the DF50 - but I don't recommend one of them!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2016 at 8:32pm
Thanks very much guys

I will check out the suggestions.

Cheers

Kev
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2016 at 11:03am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

.... (it doesn't have a foot switch...)....

The old jokes are the best....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2016 at 11:40am
Arr

Will I ever live that down,

I have kept a low profile thinking, yeah the guys will have forgotten about the fx footswitch /8 ch digital mixer bloke.

I can't believe that the X air 12 that behringer made just to shut me up, is a mere 259 euro on thoman.

Edited by kevin tyler - 29 June 2016 at 12:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>