Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15 curve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveMarks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15 curve
    Posted: 08 October 2014 at 2:08pm
Hey guys im building 2 HD15s. got a couple of questions...
1)Dad ordered my wood and got it wrong and got 6mm ply for the curve , is this too thick to bend the radius it needs to. Although I know its not ideal was wandering if it was possible.
2)what driver would be best to use? eminence kappa 15 LF or p-audio E15-600s 600w
stitchy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stitchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 2:23pm
you need 3mm ply for the curve, driver wise I would go for the eminence
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 3:05pm
Do it the old boat makers way... heat the wood up using steam and then very slowly using a jig bend it over a period if time.

...or buy 3mm ply.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
andycw View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 3:49pm
People say the Thomann branded 15's are better(and cheaper)than the Kappa. How true that is I don't know.
No Bass No Fun
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 7:34pm
  I used three layers of 6mm ply when I did the curves on mine and you are correct, it will not bend to the radius required, I found a way around this however, I routered shallow grooves, about 2mm deep out of the wood about every 30mm along on the panel with a 6mm bit, this gave the wood the flexibility it needed to bend into a tighter radius then I took my time using plenty of screws and glue between the layers of ply to fasten everything together.

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 7:36pm
Sounds like a lot of hard work wen you could have just bought 3mil. Oh well if its all you have or you have days on end to spend building them, Go for it!!
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 8:10pm
  Yep! 3mm would have been far more preferable, but I already had two sheets of 6mm sitting about doing nothing so thought I would put it to use.
DaveMarks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveMarks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 8:21pm
It's all good , got a sheet of 3mm on the way , cheers guys
djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2014 at 11:37pm
I used 8mm "bending plywood" for mine. 
It's plywood with all the veins/grains in the same direction.
"If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough!"
Neurosub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neurosub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 9:48pm
I have 2x HD215 and have been using the kappa pro lf2 for years. 
They sound good. 

I have them crossed at 120 ish to avoid the definition loss above that. (honking)
85 cut off below. 

Cheap too - just ordered 4 @ 160 each here in Canada. Yesterday. 
 Post Reply Post Reply