Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15 Driver FAQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15 Driver FAQ
    Posted: 28 April 2010 at 6:29pm
So many questions scattered around HD15 forum about which drivers apart from Kappa Pro LF, PD154, PD 1550, so thought it a good idea to start this thread (Seeing as I just bought a pile of em)...

1. Anyone using HD15s with drivers that cost £70 or less new/used?

2. What's lowest you have run the above drivers at power ?

3. What's are the perfect T/S Parms for HD15 driver

4. What's are the minimum  T/S Parms for HD15 driver

5. Anyone tried new Fane Sovereign/Pro Series ?

6.Does Fane Sovereign Pro LF perform same as Eminence Kappa Pro LF?

7.Is Kappa Pro LF better than Turbosound equivalent for similiar cab?

8. What's difference in performance between Kappa Pro & Pro LF?

9. Can 2x cabs do 70hz with lower cost drivers?

EDIT -  29-04-2010

10. Plans say Cab can be driven from 50hz up; What's max safe power  input PD154,PD1550,
      Kappa Pro 15LF can take  HD15 70hz up, without blowing Xmax?

11.  Can HD15 response be flattened by eq, to sound less Honky upto 150hz with out issue ?

12. Do any drivers sound less "honky" higher up by nature? E.g higher Vas/mid value BL ?

Edited by levyte357 - 29 April 2010 at 8:13pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 12:46am
Used a skytec driver in 4 HDs that went into a club for a few months, they survived on a berry 1500 2 per side, and are still working today, so it can be done.  Im not a big fan of the PD154, sounds brutal and aggressive, puts a hard edge on everything, the kappa 15 sounds great but wont take much power. 

T/S paramiters i would say a reasonable BL is essential, other than that use your ears, its def worth trying different drivers, ive had quite loose drivers sound good in the HDs, but im not into this mega tight hard "bang" sound.

I pritty much always cross them at 50Hz and normall on berry 2500s, i prefer to used them as all round bass bins rarther than upper bass cabs, 2 cabs will get fairly low but its not tons of sub, its a sound i like though, makes the music more dynamic, tons of sub tends to overpower everything else IMO and you loose the groove of the tune.  HDs arnt really horns in the lower regions so you dont really get that much more extension by adding more cabs, they do what they do with 2,3,4,5,6 etc cabs, you get a little more sub with big stacks and the upper range can beam a bit with wide stacks.

Ive not tryed the kappa pros or the fanes so cant comment, the new neo fane that was put on there site the other day looks like a possibility though.  One thing i will say is borrow some drivers and do some A/B testing, dont just rely on sims and specs, they dont tell the whole story. 
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 3:03am
Whats the whole set up?

1. Anyone using HD15s with drivers that cost £70 or less new/used?

for less than £70 theirs not many options, i havn't simmed any of them but ones to try putting through hornresp around that price would be the fane 500 and 600 (new generation ones look pretty good on paper)

7.Is Kappa Pro LF better than Turbosound equivalent for similiar cab?

I wouldn't have thought so, Turbosounds OEM drivers are stonking (having heard the 18" neo driver out of the current gen turbosound BPH in my es18's i can see where the money goes.)

8. What's difference in performance between Kappa Pro & Pro LF?

nothing too noticeable, the LF works a little bit better and you're more likely to get away without getting too near xmax without lining the rear chamber.

9.Can 2x cabs do 70hz with lower cost drivers?

yes but 80 would be better.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 11:18am
Quote sounds brutal and aggressive, puts a hard edge on everything,

You write as if this is an issue
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 11:31am
Added few more questions to original post.

Getting the feeling cheaper drivers won't automatically die if run from 70hz up, but suprised plan say's 52hz up, if most people frun them from 80hz.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 12:24pm
Ive run kappa LFs 2 in a stack with high pass at 50HZ 24dB/octave many many times and never blown a driver, that on EP2500s though so there only getting 375W each, itas enough for the kappas though.

below about 75Hz there not really a horn, more a band pass cab, so you dont need to do big stacks like with proper front loaded horns 
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

below about 75Hz there not really a horn, more a band pass cab, so you dont need to do big stacks like with proper front loaded horns 

I guess that means at distance/outside, the only the 75hz+ really travels if you only have upto 4x per side ?

Edited by levyte357 - 29 April 2010 at 8:15pm
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 11:51pm
I cant say ive noticed a difference in throw with regards to upper bass / lower bass traveling different distances.  I was more on about that they only have a short path length, about 75Hz path, and 2 or 3 HDs is enough mouth area to load down to 75Hz, so they can be used in small stcaks.  Below that the work more like a bandpass cab with a front chamber and a port, though its a big port, much bigger than most bandpass cabs so it will throw better than most bandpass cabs.

As i understand it throw has a lot to do with radiating area / dispertion.

Edit,  i really think your best off trying some different drivers and deciding for yourself what suits you, i know you wouldn't choose a scoop driver or a bass amp based on specs and computer predictions, the proof is in the pudding....

Edited by Timebomb - 29 April 2010 at 11:55pm
FarmerWardy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerWardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 11:27am
i swear a friend of mine uses, celestion drivers to good effect.
FTR4080 i think
UnKnOwN Soundsystem
Void, Turbosound, Thunderridge
Bristol, UK
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Edit,  i really think your best off trying some different drivers and deciding for yourself what suits you, i know you wouldn't choose a scoop driver or a bass amp based on specs and computer predictions, the proof is in the pudding....

True...  LOL

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 12:01pm
Back in the day, before there was even a forum, Rog reliably informed me not to use the Kappa Pro LF, but to use the normal Kappa LF.  

If you check the plans they also juts say Kappa LF and not pro.

Why not just stick PD154 in them and do it properly.  

We ran them from about 40hz up for years...  The -3db point might be at 52hz, but like all bandpass horns they still produce a fair bit lower than that...

As for power handling I never used to give mine more than about 500w a driver anyway...  
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Dom Dom wrote:

Why not just stick PD154 in them and do it properly. 

No reasonable priced used PD154's around, and not enough gigs at the mo' to justify buying 4x of them.

Also, they will "only" be used above scoops, so only need drivers that can handle approx 400W @ 70hz in HD15.

But even finding these on cheap is tricky, as it seems to require approx 6mm Xmax, depending on BL/Vas.Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>