Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help!! Something wrong with my scoops..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by dreadsoul dreadsoul wrote:

Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

Originally posted by dreadsoul dreadsoul wrote:

Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

the 18sound 2400 is very close to the tbx100 in sound and in behaviour in a scoop. but the 18 sound 2400 offers better value for money (cheaper than tbx) when you look at the new price for the 1850 there are far far better scoop drivers, that cost less...

What do you mean? Which are the drivers you're talking about?
It seems that the PD 1850 is the best driver for the scoops for roots and dub, here in the forum.

Was lol, defo not what I'm recommending now.. but in true sound system style my lips are sealed....

Don't get me wrong the old 1850 was and is a great scoop driver, but the new /2 aint the same. The new 1852 out performs the 1850/2 in a scoop, but cost vs performance there are better drivers. in a test session I had a few weeks back 3 new breed drivers all out performed the 1852 and all cost less or near the same price point...

What are the changes compared to the old ones?

This subject has been talked about to death on hear. A new basket design. but the is a slight depth change if you put both side by side its clear to see.
https://www.elements-audio.com
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 6:27pm
tell me, which one is better as 1850?
Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2016 at 10:50pm

jr junior you have a pm...

luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 6:11am
Thing is after all the negative talk me and hundreds of others have heard a certain sound with the newer 50/2 and sounds great, throw, pressure everything. Maybe it was just the really early batches that were bad?
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

Thing is after all the negative talk me and hundreds of others have heard a certain sound with the newer 50/2 and sounds great, throw, pressure everything. Maybe it was just the really early batches that were bad?

Or just people dropping them into boxes without paying heed to the parameters and whether they would be a good fit.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 6:46pm
People I know who tried early 50/2s, said they were unhappy, because they were told they would perform the same as the Series 1 (PD1850MK2, black label),  and they didn't in the same box.

Not tried new 50/2 in suitable box, so who knows?
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 11:01pm
Iirc wasn't everyone told the parameters were the same? (Don't quote me as im not 100% sure but more 95%)
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 12:30am
Originally posted by luton_soundman luton_soundman wrote:

Iirc wasn't everyone told the parameters were the same? (Don't quote me as im not 100% sure but more 95%)

originally yes, then they relased the update parameters.  I took my own readings on 3 versions of the 1850, the original, then the later model then the new model (/2). Interestingly none were even close to each other...Embarrassed
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 5:56pm
That's not exclusive to PD. Or uncommon. There's such a thing as manufacturing tolerances. Buy two drivers off anybody and measure yourself...
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

That's not exclusive to PD. Or uncommon. There's such a thing as manufacturing tolerances. Buy two drivers off anybody and measure yourself...

That's quite true.

But obviously, if 2x different "Series 1", PD1850 Mk2 Black label drivers work in the same box, and the Series 2 doesn't, that "implies", the Series 2 driver parameters, are way off, from the  "Series 1" drivers.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 7:22pm
The Logical answer to the 1850/2 shenanigans, would be for unbiased party, to correctly measure parameters of at least 3x different late 1850/2, and do the same for 3x different "Series 1", PD1850MK2 black label drivers, (after purchasing them from the Rocking Horse Poo shop), and tabulate results openly.

RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 7:32pm
I think you are all getting FAR to caught up over driver specs that you have forgotten that the most important aspect of the sound is the colour of the cab...   

Edited by RoadRunnersDust - 16 July 2016 at 7:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>