Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hill audio amp i found today :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hill audio amp i found today :)
    Posted: 01 June 2010 at 7:44pm
found this today and saved it from the tip,does anyone have any info on it,as it dont say much anywhere

thanks
  mike

https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 7:45pm
I think that's an LC, check fuse size against info on panel.

Edited by The Builder - 01 June 2010 at 7:47pm
It just is.
AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

I think that's an LC, check fuse size against info on panel.

thanks mate,yeah i have done that and it would seem its a LC 800,as the fuse say F6.3 although the info panel says T6.3 for it to be an LC800 but i guess it just a difarant sort of fuse? nice one for the info anyways..is it an ok amp,and is this the same hill as from the 80s or is hill audio new cos i found this website http://www.hill-audio.com/?page_id=14 Big smile
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:14pm
Be seeing you.
neilpoints View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilpoints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:30pm
Hi.
T6.3 is a slow-blow fuse, a 6.3 will protect your amp but might blow unnecessarily.
Hill made some great amps, including all the Chameleon models, some re-badged Smartlight. They are all class-A with bipolar transistors as far as I know, so they are supposed to run hot! Sound quality is great. Their biggest problem is the build quality and lack of protection - the components move around too easily in transit, fracturing the solder and PCB tracks, the amps fail, go DC and take out your speakers!
Worth fixing, I reckon. I'm working on a Hill amp at the moment!
former Eurovision contestant
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:32pm
definitely a 70/80's model,
and yes, that design using a transformer to provide the drive current to the output transistors was unreliable but relatively low cost to build....

Edit: fortunately they were/are relatively easy to repair!
Mik

Edited by audiomik - 01 June 2010 at 8:39pm
AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:34pm
cheers jbl man,well it seems iv'e done my bit for the 80s by saving it anyways lol.... thanks for the links too Smile
The Garglebard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Garglebard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:38pm
I've got one of these. Has a dodgy volume control, but otherwise works fine. Sounds great. 

I really should get it fixed, but not sure if it's financially viable. 
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:41pm
Malcolm Hill provided the PA for Live Aid at Wembley (1985???). He also dabbled in a bit of speaker design with his "Power Cubes" a 4 box system using Volt 12" dual concentrics and Volt 15" (maybe 18") subs.

Quite a historic brand.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
neilpoints View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilpoints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:43pm
Garglebard, that would be very easy and cheap to fix, you could do it yourself for sure.
former Eurovision contestant
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:57pm
as well as transformer drive it had tda2030 to drive the fan if i remember correctly.
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
The Garglebard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Garglebard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by neilpoints neilpoints wrote:

Garglebard, that would be very easy and cheap to fix, you could do it yourself for sure.

You've never seen my soldering mate LOL

Seriously though, one of the volume pots has a fault.  I've just wired it up and if i touch the pot i get sound, if i tap the pot then the sound comes and goes intermittently.

Any suggestions?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>