Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

home system - advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: home system - advice
    Posted: 18 July 2016 at 7:42pm
I've got the opportunity to install a nice high end home audio system where the customer has about £1500 to spend (with an extra £300 he has already spent on speaker cable made from the tears of dying unicorns Ouch).
The area where its going into is a conservatory/orangery and a dining room all open plan
The original idea from richer sounds to the customer is

4x ceiling mounted speakers - 2x in the orangery and 2x in the dining room (separate channels)
1x sound bar by the TV (which is also in the orangery)
2x outdoor speakers

Amps were going to be
2x sonos wireless connect amps (each amp can run up to 4x speakers)

The electrician has already ran the cables for the speakers in his first fix.

Richer sounds have already said to him that he will have the option to run everything independent or all together if he goes with the Sonos system. I have advised him that the sound bar will produce enough volume and depth to watch sports or whatever on (he doesn't want a standalone sub as he is having a full 5:1 in his lounge when the time comes)
I know from experience to not have TV/film coming from ceiling speakers as it sounds a bit tosh with them firing down on your head, rather than firing AT you. 

The ceiling mounted speakers haven't been bought yet.

I suggested that there might be a possibility of instead running the Sonos amps (about £400 each, 55w per channel), using something like a T-amp 4 channel amp as there would be then the possibility of running a ceiling mounted sub with some higher end ceiling speakers (indian guys like loud music through my experience, he has lots of family so the system will need some balls when they have parties)

He wants to use a wall mounted iPad to control everything from. Yes Sonos sounds the easiest to connect but I'm not sure if the amps will give enough, and I'm sure we could get something where he isn't spending £800 just on 2 amps. Id rather get better speakers and a ceiling sub with the left over change with a cheaper T-amp 4 channel amp.

Any ideas on zoning? Something like a wifi/bluetooth zone mixer with 4x outputs?
Which ceiling speakers would you recommend? 

Thanks

Edited by cookie-dj - 18 July 2016 at 7:45pm
You can't polish a turd!
bassdesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 8:11pm
The new Yamaha 4ch amps look really impressive! Not sure on the price tag though, but I think they would be a major step up from the thomann 4ch jobbies.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 8:15pm
I know a lot of people use the Thomann 4ch jobbie to good effect. I need the leftover change to setup the zoning part of it all so I'm not sure if the yamaha would leave me much change.

You can't polish a turd!
bassdesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 8:25pm
Which model are you referring to? The tsa? Or e- range? What is the clients preference for controlling the zones? IPad ? Laptop? Mobile? Etc? The SONOS stuff does make life easier and hassle free and also is easier for more integration later for more zones etc.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 8:39pm
tsa range for the amp
iPad for controlling the zones.
I was looking at this sonos connect thing, as it says it allows for connecting non network systems.
I'm after 1 hub which can utilise the 4 amplifier channels and send different music to each zone, and control with an iPad. 

Edit - look for Sonos Connect as the link doesn't link to it

Edited by cookie-dj - 18 July 2016 at 8:40pm
You can't polish a turd!
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 8:56pm
looks like i'll have to use 2x Sonos connect as they don't currently make one which supports multi zoning from 1 unit!

Does anyone know of any wifi enabled AVR which allows for multi zoning? 
You can't polish a turd!
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 9:27pm
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v579_black_u/?mode=model

WiFi, 2 zone option, AirPlay Spotify etc.

Been very happy with the RX-479 that I have. The android version of their control app for the receivers works very well.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 8:44am
Speakercraft Aim series ceiling speakers.

Eyeball adjustable design... Really good.

Can supply too :)
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:41pm
Which Aim model do you recommend? This Aim5 Three looks quite good. I want useable 50hz if possible.
Do you also recommend any outdoor wall mounted speakers?
I saw these, look quite good on paper. 

Edit: forgot link

Edited by cookie-dj - 24 July 2016 at 5:44pm
You can't polish a turd!
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:24am
It's down to budget to a certain extent - I think the Aim8's are the bollocks, with the 7's being a good compromise and not as visually huge - not all customers want multiple 8" speakers across their ceiling. The 5's are obviously the babies of the range, and still do the business, but if not using with a sub I'd try and go for the size above if I could wangle it.

As for outdoor wall mount speakers, I'd either be looking at Apart (cheap), One Systems (bombproof), or Martin CDD Weatherised (less hardy, sound nicest). All more commercial offerings to be honest though.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 4:00pm
I've just been back to the house and in parts of the ceiling, there is only 90mm clearance.
I've had a look at more of the Speakercraft range and the circular speakers tend to be deeper than the square ones.

Do you know much about these?

They seem to fit the bill....
You can't polish a turd!
J.C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2016 at 2:17pm
Honestly? Don't bother. Sonos have got this particular market sewn up, yes 55W doesn't sound like much but they kick out more than enough for 99% of people. I would stick with full Sonos components and then not worry about the hassle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>