Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How safe are these...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How safe are these...
    Posted: 02 September 2014 at 9:59pm

Though how safe are they? Or how safe can they be?

If i was to make a 63a - 2x 32a ...?

1 32 would go straight to my powersoft k10, the other 32 would go into a PD7/32...

My guess is the powersoft wont pull more than 32 (or at least protects itself from doing so) and the other 32 on the PD7/32 has its own breaker so also wont pull more than 32... so it might be fine...?

Ive got a gig coming up with a single 63a. My current distro is set up with 32/3... Id rather make up a cable than hire in another distro

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 10:07pm
Its not something that can pass any inspection ( the 63A connector gland is designed for one cable only, clamp likewise, no IP protection etc

off course you have no current protection on either leg ( having protection in the drain is the wrong way round

that said, these, particularly the 32 - 2 x 16A variant are quite common and provided that the loads are kept under control and the larger connector is wired carefully ( bootlace ferrules to gather the 2 conductors etc), in essence you may get away with it.

Its not right though, and a properly protected distro is by far preferable - and naturally using something like this would invalidate any insurance cover you may have if something went wrong...
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Its not something that can pass any inspection ( the 63A connector gland is designed for one cable only, clamp likewise, no IP protection etc

off course you have no current protection on either leg ( having protection in the drain is the wrong way round

that said, these, particularly the 32 - 2 x 16A variant are quite common and provided that the loads are kept under control and the larger connector is wired carefully ( bootlace ferrules to gather the 2 conductors etc), in essence you may get away with it.

Its not right though, and a properly protected distro is by far preferable - and naturally using something like this would invalidate any insurance cover you may have if something went wrong...

Cheers Chris, invalidating my insurance is a big no no straight away. I didn't even think about that!

Back to the drawing board.
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 10:52pm

So I guess I need something like this?

Which is essentially; 

63 connector > 63a MCB > 2x 32a MCB > 2x 32a connectors  ?

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 10:57pm
hey

yeah its not like a widdowmaker that some people would initially compare it too, you're not gonna get an imediate shock from touching anything so it's relitivly safe from that point of view.

However you've a 63a then leading to two 32s, but with no breakers there's nothing to stop all say 60a going down one leg and only 3a down the other, leading to a melted connector and definite fire risk.  So you'd need to balance your loads and make sure any one leg of the cable definitely couldn't draw more than 32.

But as CSG says it wouldn't pass any official regulations or inspection, so a pernickity venue owner or safety officer may stop you from using it, and if there was to be a problem (even if it was nothing to do with this connection in the system) and someone found out you were using it, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in terms of insurance claims etc.

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 02 September 2014 at 11:01pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Grubbah Grubbah wrote:

Which is essentially; 

Yeah that would be the official, proper way to do it. Essentially the same connectors, but with breakers in the path to protect either 32 from drawing the full 63a.

k
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

Which is essentially; 

Yeah that would be the official, proper way to do it. Essentially the same connectors, but with breakers in the path to protect either 32 from drawing the full 63a.

k

Cheers Kevin,

On an inspection point of view, providing the unit is PAT tested, is there anything stopping me making one myself?

They seem so expensive to buy considering how cheap the components are?
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 11:05pm
It's either Toolstation or Screwfix that do an enclosure that's safe for use in garages, sheds etc. and such is sufficiently IP rated. It's only about a tenner and comes with the rubber glands and all! As you've already got the connectors and cable, all that's needed is 2 X 32A MCB's, and 1 X 63A MCB (or even RCBO) and they're not much more than a fiver a pop.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

It's either Toolstation or Screwfix that do an enclosure that's safe for use in garages, sheds etc. and such is sufficiently IP rated. It's only about a tenner and comes with the rubber glands and all! As you've already got the connectors and cable, all that's needed is 2 X 32A MCB's, and 1 X 63A MCB (or even RCBO) and they're not much more than a fiver a pop.

Bang on!!

The other idea I had, I have a 32in, 5 x 16out box style distro with individual breakers on all ins and out... If I change the breakers I could change that into a 63in 2 x 32 / 3 x 16 out...? or something along those lines...?
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 11:14pm
I'd leave that 32-5X16 as it is. For the sake of thirty quid, tops, you might as well have yet another box that'll be used once and sit on the shelf for the next few years!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 11:15pm

Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Bang on!!

The other idea I had, I have a 32in, 5 x 16out box style distro with individual breakers on all ins and out... If I change the breakers I could change that into a 63in 2 x 32 / 3 x 16 out...? or something along those lines...?

That would be harder to do because it's not just the breakers, or the connectors that would obviously need swapped. You'd also need to ensure all of the internal wiring inside the box is also suitably thick enough to handle those currents.

k
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 11:19pm
Ok cheers Eddie / Kevin.

Ill hunt down an enclosure and make up a new box
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>