Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How versatile are scoops?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Massiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How versatile are scoops?
    Posted: 08 October 2015 at 8:48am
I have a plan (dream) to build a bigger sound system over the winter.

It would be the first of it's kind here if built with scoops and the main purpose is to use it for reggae events.

However, to make it finacially viable to run the sound I am planning to rent it out to as many of the music festivals that goes on near or in my city. Besides the music festivals the plan is to set up the sound about 3-4 times a year for bigger selfpromoted events.

When not using the sound for our strictly selfpromoted events there migth be a need to have other music styles play on the sound. How well do scoops do genres like hip hop and DnB? Techno House even?
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 10:21am
Not very versatile at all.

If you are planningon renting out your rig i'd strongly suggest you to build something that is a bit more flexible in use(that can be used as a 1 way bass,doesn't "color" the sound, easyer to set up, etc.) like an 18" or dual 18" reflex box.

G-subs, SUB18, or even better design something yourself around your driver of choice!

https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 10:40am
For mainly outside events, I'd strongly be considering 2x stacks of 6x DIY Martin WSX, horizontal, horn loaded stacking.

That will play Reggae, Dnb, anything bass heavy..

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Massiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Massiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 2:01pm
My worry if I build reflex boxes is that the sound system won't standout. It's going to look like any other PA that companies are renting out. I want something that looks and sounds impressive.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 2:04pm
"Sounds impressive"... scoops can be, but they wont play cleanly!!

You want it to stand out? Paint it lime green and tell your clients its an ECO system and good for the enviroment.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Massiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Massiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 2:14pm
Yeah, for people only interested in performance I know it seems silly to emphasize looks, but the thing is Funktion 1 and Void also do make their systems stand out visually and there is a reason for that.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 2:15pm
Reflex system would need sea of 2x18 boxes, to do anything useful, outside.

12x WSX, separate kick bins,  will provide decent sub downto 40hz, with right drivers (non standard), and amps, for approx 5,000 people.

Edited by levyte357- - 08 October 2015 at 2:17pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 2:20pm
Also, 12X Scoops like Superscooper, with Mid BL 1Kw drivers, could be Eq'd to sound clean enough and, also have serious impact outside.

Mid BL for Smoother, flatter response, high BL for 40hz bang.

Edited by levyte357- - 08 October 2015 at 2:21pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 3:01pm
Polar Bear scoop easily sounds like a very very powerful 218 reflex box if you full face grille it. Will need to account for classic scoop dip at upper end by having truly full range tops (Martin H3 etc) but that would be my shout if you need to be impressive.

You can make it more 'scoopy' by using the damping control in a Powersoft KDSP amp or whacking the sub feed through a valve comp.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

For mainly outside events, I'd strongly be considering 2x stacks of 6x DIY Martin WSX, horizontal, horn loaded stacking.

That will play Reggae, Dnb, anything bass heavy..

+1 or this, if you have the packspace... Thumbs Up
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 7:08pm
IMO any system over a 2 (3 at most) way active set up is at risk as a rental unless you are very selective who rents it. Most scoop systems tend to have at least 4 way. The more going on, the more likely it will come back broken. I would make a medium reflex rig for rent. If they want the big system, they should pay you to run it.
Massiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Massiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 6:35am
I've been looking around for the info on WSX, they seem to be good for outside application but not so much inside. Would scoops be a better performer inside?

I'd like something that's work both for inside and outside venues.

(Btw, I can see they are made here in China by some copy cats like Sanway. How well do these copies perform compared to DIY?)

Edited by Massiv - 09 October 2015 at 6:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>