Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How versatile are scoops?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Massiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 8:02am
Up to 500 people at first. I was thinking of starting with 4 scoops and then how many kickbins and tops I need to match that.

I'm also interested in what kickbins and tops would match the scoops?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Massiv Massiv wrote:

Up to 500 people at first. I was thinking of starting with 4 scoops and then how many kickbins and tops I need to match that.

ES18s, MT121s, 1 - 1 ratio with Scoops.

You will not believe what 4x/8x of the above will do.

With correctly tuned LMS, that is.Wink
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Massiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Massiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

ES18s, MT121s, 1 - 1 ratio with Scoops.

You will not believe what 4x/8x of the above will do.

With correctly tuned LMS, that is.Wink

Ok, looks good 4x each cabinet, yes?

Can you give me an idea on what drivers I should get for each cab?

What would I need amplifier wise?

Other units I need in the amp rack?

I'm trying to calculate the cost. Next week I'm talking with some festival people to see what they can offer in terms of renting etc.

I'm sure if the sound impresses on the first few festivals it will open doors to more festivals.

Edited by Massiv - 11 October 2015 at 4:57pm
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 5:09pm
It sounds like you are just breaking into the sound business, and there is a learning curve. For events, start smallish and get good before you sully your rep trying to go straight into big festival jobs. If you are not ready, and you go straight into 500 people shows without learning the ropes, you will be frustrated, and you may break something trying to be impressive. Don't aim for impressive. Aim for quality sound first. It is not so easy as just buying/building the products and then enter the spotlight as a major contender. 

This is not meant to sound negative. Just it concerns me that you want people to just tell you what to buy for every aspect of your rig and then already looking past that to being a go-to for professional sound. Learn the fundamentals. It is actually even more important than the gear that you own.

The rig you are thinking of building is the real deal. Don't go broke making it and then break it right away.

Edited by b grade - 11 October 2015 at 5:10pm
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 5:12pm
For the cost, whatever you estimate add a bunch more. Even the paint will be expensive.

Massiv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Massiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

It sounds like you are just breaking into the sound business, and there is a learning curve. For events, start smallish and get good before you sully your rep trying to go straight into big festival jobs. If you are not ready, and you go straight into 500 people shows without learning the ropes, you will be frustrated, and you may break something trying to be impressive. Don't aim for impressive. Aim for quality sound first. It is not so easy as just buying/building the products and then enter the spotlight as a major contender. 

This is not meant to sound negative. Just it concerns me that you want people to just tell you what to buy for every aspect of your rig and then already looking past that to being a go-to for professional sound. Learn the fundamentals. It is actually even more important than the gear that you own.

The rig you are thinking of building is the real deal. Don't go broke making it and then break it right away.

Definitely, I totally agree.

I'm very humbly trying to get this started. The plan is to build something based on a labor of love that can sustain itself financially. Then, down the road, if it turns into more than that, we take it from there.

The plan is not to come in and takeover center stage on a festival, but have the festivals become interested in us setting up a stage with our sound as a minor stage/addition.

Me and the crew are already promoters/djs on our own events and one is a club owner/manager. This means we have a strong network of djs and promoters already in the "industry". We are now testing the waters on the interest from festivals. However, It's also tricky to sell them something they can't see and don't have the chance to experience. If we can get a few festivals on board, have a good showing, I think this can be something that can work.

We have all winter to test the sound and learn the ropes of running the sound.

If there is absolutely no interest, I'll probably just built something very small but nice to start with, just for my own events. But in a way, as I see the situation here, it's go big or go home. There is no lack of sound system rental companies. But if we can get this started we would also will also heavily promote the sound through our own events. This means, unlike a normal sound company we can built up drawing power based on who we are and what we do as promoters and DJs. I mean, that is what sound system culture is, that's what we want to do.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 7:22pm
See if you can price in dry hire plus costs plus wages to your quotes
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 7:26pm

Originally posted by b grade b grade wrote:

Definitely, I totally agree.

I'm very humbly trying to get this started. The plan is to build something based on a labor of love that can sustain itself financially. Then, down the road, if it turns into more than that, we take it from there.

The plan is not to come in and takeover center stage on a festival, but have the festivals become interested in us setting up a stage with our sound as a minor stage/addition.

Me and the crew are already promoters/djs on our own events and one is a club owner/manager. This means we have a strong network of djs and promoters already in the "industry". We are now testing the waters on the interest from festivals. However, It's also tricky to sell them something they can't see and don't have the chance to experience. If we can get a few festivals on board, have a good showing, I think this can be something that can work.

We have all winter to test the sound and learn the ropes of running the sound.

If there is absolutely no interest, I'll probably just built something very small but nice to start with, just for my own events. But in a way, as I see the situation here, it's go big or go home. There is no lack of sound system rental companies. But if we can get this started we would also will also heavily promote the sound through our own events. This means, unlike a normal sound company we can built up drawing power based on who we are and what we do as promoters and DJs. I mean, that is what sound system culture is, that's what we want to do.

I sense some wishful thinking, there are some who have broken out of the DIY market but usually after several years of financial black hole followed by 30k plus on real kit..
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 8:05pm
The big problem with breaking into the scene is that you are in a big pool of people doing it. Promoters can often get someone new to do it free. Sometimes they get bad results and learn, but mostly, once you charge a small amount, they will want it forever, and they will also think they are doing you a favor because of the "exposure". If you charge a real rate, you will be passed over by the promoters who have not learned that they get what they pay for, and the jobs won't be numerous at first, but 1 good paying job in a year is infinitely better than 100 money losing jobs.

Definitely, your own gigs will be the way to learn. Wait to jump into contracting out the sound for a little bit and you will be more valuable and also confident in dealing with inevitable hiccups. Guest list promoters you want to work for, instead working for nothing on their gigs.

I am currently trying to move from dumb cheap to valuing myself properly. I regret my poor sound guy self esteem. Never apologize for the rate you need to charge. If they can't afford you, it is not your job to take the loss so they can. If you price for haggling, then you have a little wiggle room, but know where the price becomes slavery. Don't take those jobs. Its bad for you, and it is bad for others trying to make a living. Just offer future assistance, and move on.
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 10:04pm
I have a feeling that i know your type of disposition, and that you will be doing this because you love sound. You will be happy with a 4 scoop rig. If you organize and have venue connections then you're well ahead compared to many others who do this, but even so its still a long hill to climb towards having the sound run it self financially. It may sound a bit like it, but people are not trying to put you off, they just want you to manage your expectations realistically.

Here are some of the things you will have to account for when calculating expenses:

drivers
wood,
glue,
skrues,
tools you dont have,
paint,
accessories like: handles, wheels,
amp racks & amps,
connectors,
cables,
a DSP,
power/sound distribution,
ratchet straps,
Not to forget storage & transport,

Price depending on how good you want it and so on. Then you also have to acquire the knowledge to use all of these things properly, which will take some time.
If your on a tight budget and don't mind not building your own cabs then give the second hand market a looksee, most of the list above can be found and will drastically cut down on the price. Building from scratch is more expensive - or can be if its proper - than sourcing everything second hand, but this will take some time. Whats your budget on all this by the way???

I'm trying to calculate the cost. Next week I'm talking with some festival people to see what they can offer in terms of renting etc.

I'm sure if the sound impresses on the first few festivals it will open doors to more festivals.

Then this comes after all that..

You will build it and spend lots of time searching this site and many others for answers and knowledge and you will build a impressive sound which you and many others will enjoy to the fullest. Thats what will set you apart from the others and thats when festivals and promoters are going to start taking notice.

AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 10:04pm
Beer
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2015 at 11:37pm
Why build a rig when you can just by some cheap stuff there in China?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>