Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HP DL380 G6 Smart Start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HP DL380 G6 Smart Start
    Posted: 25 April 2015 at 11:33am
I don't know if anyone can help, but...
I've just bought a little DL380 G6 for home to retire a couple of G5s I am running, does anyone know if there is a SmartStart version that let me deploy SVR2012 to a G6 box?

I only have Gen8 machine with a warranty so my Hp login is not letting me look for SmartStart as G8 has EFI stylee stuff so no S-Start need, if anyone has the latest S-start iso and it supports 2012 could they please throw it on an FTP as am about to put a 2u server through my office window...

CryCryCryCry
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 9:52pm
Being a Dell man I have no idea which version you need, but came across this

http://smartstart.software.informer.com/8.7/

Probably no good as I'm sure you Googled but sometimes the obvious...blah

I feel your pain, hate days like that, makes me want to grow food or something real.
It's everything, not everythink!
el_dj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el_dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 6:48pm
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA4-7658ENW.pdf
server 2012 is supported but not via smart start...
you have to download the drivers and supply during installation.
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3884083&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4168

Old twat, with an interest in light & sound

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by el_dj el_dj wrote:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA4-7658ENW.pdf
server 2012 is supported but not via smart start...
you have to download the drivers and supply during installation.
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3884083&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4168

Thanks, that was pretty much what I ended up doing, much as I swear by HP Proliant, their support of legacy hardware is a bit random, the tag number bought up no 2012 drivers but I ran the firmware/software maintance pack which made short work of the rest...
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

I feel your pain, hate days like that, makes me want to grow food or something real.

I hear that, tnx LOL
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 11:07am
Hoping the OP won't mind the thread-hijack-ette, as it seems to have resolved ....

Got a mini-tower HP baby server here .... ML110 G4. Not being used - and OK - I guess the skip is now beckoning .... but _maybe_ someone could use it.

Its a single socket dual-core Xeon @ 1.83GHz if I remember rightly. I put 2GB of ECC non-reg memory into it .... passed all the HP diagnostics - has a fairly "proper" RAID controller (Adaptec I think). Well - its a proper server motherboard - and should still do a job of work for a (very) small office, or for someone learning server admin mebbe.

Not after any money (but would need a little drinking money for the memory I bought for it).

Don't all rush at once now  :-)

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 11:15am
It's not really a crapper, the ML series let you mount standard drives (no £30 hotswap caddy required) will run 64Bit, a dual core 1.8 won't need a 16A supply, ideal for slamming Linux or W7 Ultimate on as a media server/Nas box in a house....
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 11:39am
Careful with the positive comments now mate .... you'll be causing a stampede to my house :-)

But yeah - if I had a labouriously collected set of movies/music to stream through the house - and was choosing between a "high-street" NAS box and somehting like the HP box - I know what I'd choose ... (although you have to justify the extra leccy consumption).

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 11:58am
The HP will use loads more as your data will be there a lot longer! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply