Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want a new system ;)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tj6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want a new system ;)
    Posted: 26 August 2015 at 3:06pm
So...

I have come to a conclusion, that a new build is in place!

I need a system to play mostly house / techno, but also some rock and occasional jazz. I would like the bass to reach bellow 30hz.

I need to play to an audience of 500 - 5000 people in open air, so the system should stack together nicely, when I build more cabs ;)

The system will be powered by 3 FP10.000 (one for tops, two for subs), the amps will be later upgraded to powersoft.

I would like the tops to be 3 way (twiteer and midrange with passive crossover, and a 12"/15" bass via another channel and active crossover). Subs should be single 18"/21" - so it is easier to move around. Horn, scoop, bassreflex, bandpass - i don't really care, as long as it fits ;)

I really like the sound and looks of F1 speaker - but this is probably too much ;)

I am planning to build a first batch ob 4 subs + 2 tops, and then if the system would be good enought, I would upgrade the amps and make  one or two more sets ;)

Thanks for all of your input!

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2015 at 4:02pm
Whats your budget.... i mean if your gonna build half the sytem now and then add more boxes for more SPL what are we spending?

Your UK based right? (Just checking as different drivers are harder to get in different countries)

This is for a business right?

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
tj6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tj6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2015 at 4:38pm
Hi!

Sorry - -totally forgot about budget!

I am looking to get something really decent for under 3k €. For 4-5k I get a good finished system...
I am not from UK - I prefer drivers from B&C and RCF (it's what I use now).

Business? Not really - a paid hobby maybe (that what's I am keep telling my self) :)
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2015 at 5:33pm
Are you going to buy or build tops?

You can make some pretty decent subs now days , especially if your going to fork out on good drivers from b and c .

I use CBE 18's and martin h3's for house and techno and im very happy with the results , but the cbe's dont drop to 30 hz . 
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2015 at 6:02pm
I'd prefer to have good mid bass rather than subs dropping below 30Hz for Techno as that could sound muddy and "still" rather than fuller.

Edited by Darkstar - 26 August 2015 at 6:12pm
Bass =/= Enough
tj6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tj6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2015 at 10:21pm
Well I think building a decend 3way top is going to be a chalenge to me - so I was thinking maybe to use some coax b&c? Maybe even some completed boxes from china... But there is no fun in that :)
About subs: I currenty run my system 40hz and up... That is plenty sub for me... But I see systems go lower every year, so I've thoughg I'd try putting together something that I can use lower than 35hz.
THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 8:27am
look at the used pro market to see what tops you can get at a good price in your country/area
3 way made by martin audio/turbosound/eaw etc. (start with 4 hopefully)

Then buy 10-12 used 18" bass drivers and build a pile band pass horns

Find a digital processor and a big pile of signal/speaker and power cables

Then your at your starting point of 500 people..........

Good luck
Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 8:54am
10-12 18" drivers for 500 people? that would cover alot more IMO! Unless you are trying to kill people with bass of course! LOL
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Jimmer Jimmer wrote:

Unless you are trying to kill people with bass of course! LOL

what else would you be trying to do ?
Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 11:26am
See if you can find a old used Turbosound FLoodlight system. It would be perfect for your needs. 
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 11:27am
Or an old martin audio VRS, F1 or F2 system....
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
tj6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tj6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2015 at 12:00pm
I would actually prefer building over buying ;)

If I had the money to buy - I would just go for a complete BassBoss system (which I have heard, and for the compact size of it really hits!)... With the money I have here I can buy a decent stack of Function One clones from china (that looks beautiful, and as far as I have read on forums, it also plays nice)...

But I love building! So I am looking for some advice as to what speaker plans would fit my bill, and with which drivers;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>