Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID this cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID this cab
    Posted: 15 July 2016 at 10:50pm
can any one give me any info on this cab please

one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2016 at 10:57pm
I was going to say they could be old Citronic cabs made by Calne cabinet makers and then I saw the third picture....  
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 3:06am
Citronic
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 3:17am
I lovely peace of history from a time when not many knew what they were doing with PA speaker design. If you look at Hi Fi cab designs from the same time period they got it completely right. So no excuses really.

A 10" or 12" driver crossed over to a bullet at what must be 5 or 6kHz.

You would be sacked or thrown off a forum these days for suggesting that as an idea.

And they made such great twin decks and amps at that time.

Edited by Aman Gebru - 16 July 2016 at 3:20am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 8:27am
Good quality English-made disco speaker from around the very early 1980's. Pretty expensive when new back then too. Much better than the usual Squires or Peavey 'disco' speakers of the period.
Be seeing you.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 10:12am
They do look essentially like a HiFi cab from the era (thinking B&O) scaled up by 3x. I can see the PA companies just copying the look and making it bigger!

I expect those Fanes would still sound good today if the voicecoils and surrounds are in good condition. Considering the age they look immaculate.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 8:54pm

I would imagine those cabs would have been built around the same time as the stuff below;

Just after I left school I did a bit of DJing in a holiday camp in West Wales, they let me use some speakers they had which were a pair of Celestion Ditton 44's on top of a pair of Citronic w bins which from memory were the same model as the one middle right in the above photo, amps were an HH sa130 per w bin and a Technics hifi amp on the Celestions, total power around 300w! In a 300 person capacity clubhouse.... Thing is though, it was always loud enough, even when the place was full to the rafters, good times.  

edit; I still use an SM450 mixer as I haven't found a modern mixer yet that I prefer.

Edited by njw - 16 July 2016 at 8:59pm
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 1:47am
that ad is from 78, as jbl man state these are early 80s, its a shame citronic ignored the cd market for so long as they were the market leaders
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2016 at 11:09am
"Just after I left school I did a bit of DJing in a holiday camp in West Wales, they let me use some speakers they had which were a pair of Celestion Ditton 44's on top of a pair of Citronic w bins which from memory were the same model as the one middle right in the above photo, amps were an HH sa130 per w bin and a Technics hifi amp on the Celestions, total power around 300w! In a 300 person capacity clubhouse.... Thing is though, it was always loud enough, even when the place was full to the rafters, good times."

Correct. A pair of the speakers Nuclear posted at top of this thread,a twin-deck console with a 150w per ch amp,a few pinspots and some projectors was all you needed for a large hall and 300+ crowd. It allways seemed to be adequately loud and punchy.

If your budget  could stretch,add pair of Electrovoice w-bins,and you would have the place shaking.

Proving the point you really didn't need huge stacks,and racks fulls of gear to have fun.

Look at the RADIO 1 roadshow video post i did in Golden oldies,they are playing to crowds of 5000+ on the beach,with just four Orange w-bins and two horns!
Be seeing you.
nuclearbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuclearbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 12:41pm
Can any one give me an idea on resale value as there just sat gathering dust now
one life - have fun!
Force fusion pro audio
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:29pm
Well you wont be able to retire on it Rich i'm afraid, but about 50 quid.

Or give them to a local youth club etc.
Be seeing you.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:55pm
I would imagine you may get more for them in parts rather than complete cabs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>