Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

info on TOA Electronics Eso871 cabs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: info on TOA Electronics Eso871 cabs
    Posted: 01 February 2017 at 2:42pm
As the title says.
Got the chance of acquiring some of these from a large pa system. Thanks
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 5:30pm
outdoor pa speakers
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 5:42pm
Thanks that's true!

By the looks of it these are actually prob not es0871. These have x2 12" drivers facing together firing into a big wooden horn +a constant directivity horn. Very heavy.
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 7:11pm
pics? one of toa's reps used to build cabs
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2017 at 7:29pm
Sorry cannot post pics here :-(

I contacted TOA tech support and they maybe custom one off cabs. I'll investigate further with TOA. Cabs came from a large stadium.
100 volt line View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 volt line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 12:01pm
I think I know of the cabs of which you speak.

The aforementioned former Toa rep that built cabs lives near me and we are acquainted, however I dont see him that often.

The speakers were built by the Toa special projects department, probably 20+ years ago ish. They did a lot of stuff for football stadiums at the time, and were probably installed by Romers or TG Baker. I think this cab or one very similar is still installed at Manchester United's Old Trafford ground.
There are, as you say, two twelves on a wooden waveguide and a big comp on a horn. I cant remember what the drivers specs are, and I cant find my old Toa books from around that time that detailed the drivers that Toa sold.

However............

An almost identical cab was manufactured by the long gone W&T Ultrasonics at Brigg in Lincolnshire, called the AP3, fitted with RCF components. These found their way into stadiums, clubs, and even touring use. The 12's were 16 ohm in parallel i think, and the horn may have been 16 ohm as well. They were heavy, and the install version had no handles or wheels, but there was also a carpeted version that was designed for touring. Also, there was an identical size push/pull bass cab, but I was never that impressed with these.

The sound of the AP3 was OK. It made plenty of noise, but needed a bit of careful EQ to tame. I am talking about the RCF version here, but never heard the Toa version in anger.

I have added a picture that hopefully will come out. Is this the beast you are on about? Found this on Google.

How many are available just out of interest?

I never did understand Millman's Theorem !
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 1:23pm
That's great info, thanks.
We managed to get 10 cabs, these are the toa ones, toa on the dust caps on the 12's. Very heavy, no handles with just brackets for flying. No passive xovers just bi-amped. These were from Selhurst park.
Still unsure what to do with them. Be nice to see them installed somewhere.
100 volt line View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 volt line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 1:44pm
If you want rid, I may be interested.
I never did understand Millman's Theorem !
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 4:49pm
PM sent
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2017 at 4:52pm
They do seem to have xovers, but have separate inputs for mid and top.
jolliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jolliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2017 at 7:35pm
The AP3's shared a design with the TOA MS1 which was part of the special projects. We never built the AP3's to be flown however the MS1's were.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2017 at 8:00pm
Thanks for the info!
As they are a similar cab, do you have specs for them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>