Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

invertor question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: invertor question
    Posted: 14 April 2011 at 4:14pm
We are about to Move to somewhere which Is off the grid and gets power VIA solar and wind.I own two invertors one at 110 and one at 240.As I own equipment that can be run at 110....ie decks and mixer...does it make any sense to use them at 110volts...will this be any less demanding on the batteries?
Its just a ride.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 4:23pm

Quite the opposite actually.

The inverter (dc-ac conversion) efficiency would be roughly the same but the reverse is not the same. It's more efficient to ac-dc convert (as happens in all power supplies) from 230V AC than from 110V AC. Total efficiency increase is between 5% and 10%.

Edited by Saturnus - 14 April 2011 at 4:24pm
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 4:41pm
Are these cheapy inverters ? If so, you may get problems with turntables if they AC motors (e.g. most types of belt or idler drive) as the inverter o/p is gonna be pretty much square wave.
I'd say to run these types of gear you'd need pure sine wave inverters (a good deal more expensive).
But thats an educated guess - not based on experience.

phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2011 at 7:40pm
No not cheap at all..both pure sine wave from when we lived on a boat..
Its just a ride.
CCAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2011 at 3:36am
Check E bay for APC  Smart ups used and without batteries (Shipping weight ) It's a pure sine wave inverter They come in many different capacities  if you look hard you can find them for $50 I have one in my workshop with 4 -12v car batteries as part of a solar experiment and I'm running my shop on this setup

In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old
 Post Reply Post Reply