Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this ply suitable for my first build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this ply suitable for my first build
    Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:23pm
Ive been recommended the following timber merchant and wondered if this ply is suitable for my first builds?
The others under that area appear to be soft wood, though the above has a BB/CC designation (as I understand, knots etc), though if I do build these they will be covered under tuffcab

The only other suitable I can find is http://www.beaumontforest.co.uk/timber-sheet-materials/marine-plywood/marine-plywood-bs1088 though thats double the price and for a first build, maybe not the best idea!
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:08am
Jesus no, for that price you can get the good stuff.

Birch is the word, and it'll have all birch plys 1.4mm thick, not the barely compressed sawdust some plywood uses in between the veneers.

If you absolutely can't stretch to Baltic birch, B&Q do MDF sheets for £16.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:08am
For the highest quality builds you, birch ply is the only real option.  However I suspect in your case the ply you have chosen will be fine.  It won't have the final strength and finish, especially on the end grain as birch ply but it'll still make perfectly usable cabs.

From experience, the first cabs you build probably won't last that long before you decide to build some more to replace them.  Or, has happened to me, I've tested a prototype once then it's pretty much immediately ended up on the bonfire because I've got it wrong!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:20am
I'll elaborate: A skilled professional might be able to get shoddy ply or OSB to behave enough to make a solid cabinet, but I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

MDF isn't much nicer (toxic dust, troublesome edges) but it does make for a good cabinet, albeit without the ruggedness of birch plywood, and it's cheap enough to practice on. Once you've used birch plywood you won't want to work with MDF again, so perhaps get that in first...?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:12am
this is about a tenth the price....

:-

The stuff you linked to isn't even shuttering ply , more packaging grade....

IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 11:40am
Thanks everyone, thats saved me some money!
More to this than meets the eye, every day is a learning day atm LOL
Shame B&Q dont sell the one they have on their site though...bizarre

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 5:48pm
Birch plywood prices went north last year after Fuxit, so a lot of demand dried up/stockists stopped stocking.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 6:04pm
Plenty here in Ireland it seems. €37exc vat a sheet.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 3:40pm
Ever think your doomed on your first build LOL
Finding Birch ply has been 'fun' to say the least, phoned my chosen supplier 'yes sir, we have loads in stock' drive all the way over there.... 1 sheet in store and the rest is offsite in a storage warehouse, someone may / may not get it today (depending if they can find a driver), Ive rapidly lost my **** and have now sinned and gone to B&Q
Yes... its not birch, but for first build, I will throw things around, make mistakes and I can save the good stuff for my next one Wink
On the upside, the money Ive just saved has been spent on a few tools I needed, so now I have new toys to play with as well Clap
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 4:33pm
As you say, don't bust a nut building your first cabs. Investment in good tools instead is much wiser over the long term
 Post Reply Post Reply