Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL 2123H with Eminence EM200S waveguide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwikas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL 2123H with Eminence EM200S waveguide
    Posted: 13 June 2012 at 6:56am
I posted this question over at Tech Talk but I might find it fits better here.

I'm wanting to use these in a custom 2 way.

I should have checked the specs first before I purchased the wave guides!!Embarrassed

JBL say the highest recommended crossover for the 2123H is 3,000hz.

Eminence recommend the lowest crossover for this waveguide is 3,500hz.

Can I mate them do you think???

Thanks.

Edited by kwikas - 13 June 2012 at 7:37am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 8:28am
The 2123 is a very efficient 10",you could probually run it to 3.5k,i have one in a hifi cabinet that runs up to 5k no problem,but obviously you will loose some response off-axis.
Be seeing you.
kwikas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwikas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 10:11am
Thank you jbl_man.

I guess I could try for a mid point of around 3,200hz or there abouts and see what happens.

I'd ditch the wave guides before I ever considered getting rid of the 2123H's..

Your point around off axis response is important since these are for surround duty.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 10:16am
Based on its rated dispersion and mouth size, and its 1/2W depth, that horn is big enough to load down to 1.7Khz with a good driver on it, with an appropriate crossover it could be crossed as low as 2.5Khz or so.

Eminence says it should be used no lower than 1.3Khz.

Edited by _djk_ - 13 June 2012 at 10:29am
djk
kwikas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwikas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 11:15am
djk,

Thanks for clarifying re the Eminence WG.

The CD I'm using is the JBL 2412H-1.

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 11:41am
That CD Driver isnt the best one they make,in the Eon 10 it is crossed over at 2.7k if that helps?
Be seeing you.
kwikas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwikas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 12:12pm
It does help. I'm new at this so it all helpsSmile

The 2412H-1 seems to come in for a bit of a belting from the PA guys. Many of them replaced these particular JBL CD's with Seleniums D220ti's and have reported a much better result - just with a simple swap out.

I think that there must be more to the way a speaker sounds and performs than just the HF driver though. JBL see fit to use the 2412H-1 in their 8340A cinema surrounds and everything I've read from the users of those particular speakers indicates that they are extemely good. And these reports come mostly from the picky and fickle HT crowd. The 8340A gets an extremely good rap. Perhaps the whole is greater than the sum of the parts in this case but I'm sure that JBL knew what they were doing when they used this particular driver.

Perhaps too, the EON's and JRX's et al are made to a price point and the sum of the parts is.....well, a hole.

On another forum I mentioned I was looking at using the Selenium D220ti's and was told they are a piece of junk.....why would I bother etc etc.

I have quite a few of the 2123H's and 2412H-1's sitting here (8 each actually). So, I think that I can at least start with these CD's and see how I go making up some surrounds. If I don't like the result, then I can think about swapping them out later.....but the way things are financially and the hassle involved in doing this will probably result in me not doing so, unless they are REALLY bad.

I do appreciate your assistance.....I'm wondering about this unit for x/over purposes.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-142 - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-142

Thanks again

Edited by kwikas - 13 June 2012 at 12:13pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:56pm
2123 10inch is a very high quality professional driver,it really needs something more substantial than a 2412 above for HF,personally i would try and sell the 2412's you have there,and look to buy some used 2425/2426 drivers,which would be more suited.
Be seeing you.
Greg32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 12:01pm
Have a look at the jbl 4716 and jbl I701p, i have the 4716 and they do sound awesome they have the 2416 for hf Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply