Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL AP25 - TMS4 clone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL AP25 - TMS4 clone
    Posted: 01 September 2014 at 7:17am
First I learnt of such a beast was seeing an ebay auction, but couldn't find any more info online

I've since found out my friend has one built in to his portable 12v system, but it was grilled and painted so didn't realise at first

here are some pics retrieved from an online trade site

it's a 15", 10" and 1", somewhat of a copy of the TMS4
Said friend had his mid blow, and I'm trying to find out more... not quite willing to pull it apart for him though Wink

Has anyone seen/heard of these, and have any info about them?
enyxr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enyxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2017 at 2:27am
I have stumbled upon a pair of these myself and very interested in finding out some more info on them if anyone has any? Can't seem to find anything online anywhere.

Edit: Upon looking at the photos a little closer.. My boxes have velcro in the same places on the front as the photos above, entirely possible I own the above boxes unless they all came like that?

Edited by enyxr - 16 February 2017 at 2:30am
enyxr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enyxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 3:04am
Turns out the photos posted in OP's post are the ones I now own.

Tried contacting JBL who had no info on them other than that they were replaced by the AP-30.
Will get in touch with Turbosound and see if they know anything.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:21am
Hah, coincidence!
What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Also did you contact JBL directly, or Jands?
Given how little info is found online, I wonder if it was locally made by Jands. Might be worth tracking down one of the older Jands staffmto discuss.
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 4:53pm
They look more Martin VRS-800 than Turbo IMHO....

Do they sound any good?

:-)
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2017 at 8:17pm
The JBL 4830 was very much a VRS 800 or VRS1000 clone and this looks like a later (and possibly cheaper, or do I mean "value engineered by Harman") version with a phase plug in the mid horn.
Presumably developed as soon as Tim's TurboMid Device patent ran out...

Edited by madboffin - 20 February 2017 at 8:19pm
enyxr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enyxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2017 at 12:56am
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

Hah, coincidence!
What did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Also did you contact JBL directly, or Jands?
Given how little info is found online, I wonder if it was locally made by Jands. Might be worth tracking down one of the older Jands staffmto discuss.

I got them for $400 with 2x RCF kick bins included.
Planning to use the 'JBLsounds' as I've started referring to them as with the kick bins and a pair of scoops as a little mini-rig for side stage duties.

In response to how they sound - I'm not too sure yet I've been busy with my main build and have yet to get them going, they did show me them working before purchase but not at any sort of volume to be able to tell whether they sounded nice or not.
enyxr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enyxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 6:02am
Still yet to get my original pair powered up and working but I have since managed to source another pair, although they are missing the mid-range driver (JBL MI-10), anyone know how I could go about getting replacement drivers, or even an equivalent? 

Will be upgrading the LF driver in all 4 boxes to JBL 2226's as I've got these on hand already.
 Post Reply Post Reply