Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL TCBs... value and thoughts...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL TCBs... value and thoughts...
    Posted: 25 June 2015 at 5:21pm
I've come across a couple of these, typically unloaded. Cabs are structurally fine and the front face is good and original. The rest of them are well scuffed.
No drivers, not even any baskets.

Stupidly I forgot to take note of which one they were, but at 1.5m tall on end they are going to atleast be the dual 15" or dual 18".

The seller said she wanted £100 each for them which seems steep to me... I was thinking max £100 the pair seeing as it could cost hundreds to load them. Is there a stronger driver with similar parameters which could be used in place of the old JBL driver?

Once loaded do they have a respectable sound pressure level in the 25-40hz range?
I've heard they go low but have little definition, no kick just rumbles. That sounds ok to me as I already have 6 x 18" reflex bins.
I suppose Id need to heavily utilise the time delay feature on my DCX...

I don't know why I like the idea of them so much... probably because it says SoundPower on the back of them!
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 6:03pm
Originally loaded with 15" 2225 or 18" 2240

The TCB probably from the sound power series. 4788 or 4785

I have a pair of the 4785's with orginal drivers. They do sound good. Very deep low.   

Edited by shaun1264 - 25 June 2015 at 6:05pm
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 6:26pm
Cool, sounds like a speaker worth having. What do you reckon to the value of empty cabs? Front face is decent condition, rest is scuffed back to the wood on all the corners but no missing laminates as far as I could see... metal input plate is in good condition for the age...
Greg32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 12:20pm
I have no personal experience with them but have read a lot about them, they apparently sound lovely but are easily overdriven. there was a thread here somewhere that was a few pages long about the jbl tcb and there merits.   
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 8:30pm
I used to use a pair of the 2 x 18'" 4788 in a fixed install in a venue.
They went down low, but did not seem to be particularly efficient. I had no problems with driver reliability. They were very heavy and bulky and I would not recommend them for mobile use.
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 10:34pm
They all have flat response.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sound%20Power%204700%20Series/4785A.pdf

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Sound%20Power%204700%20Series/4788A.pdf

The Sound Power Series were similar to the older JBL 4688 model.  Just different tunings and slightly different box dimensions. 

101dB SPL for 1 watt.  Back then efficient for the 4788 version.  

Same here, no problems with reliably.  I have a 28Hz 48dB Butterworth low cut on my 4785's.  Driven by a Crown Micro-Tech 1200 or a Crown K2.  

I think a lot of them were just clipped to the max/overdriven hence a few turn up for sale with no drivers.

I'd say £100 is a decent price if the grills and metal bars inside are intact

My pair just sit around now.  One is used for a home system.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 11:03am
I've got them now... Two Soundpower 4785. No drivers whatsoever... Everything else there though it seems. One cab appears to have suffered some water damage to the ply in one area and has lost the outer veneer. Probably won't affect it but I might use my boat repair skills on it with some epoxy and a veneer.

What drivers am I looking for for these?
Jbl 2225 or 2226?

Kinda wish they'd been the dual 18s, to be fair they are heavy enough already!

Anyone got tips on how to fit a speakon nicely into the backplate? It has weird multi pin sockets atm...
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 11:50am
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 10:25pm
Lovely boxes load them with 2226h which JBL say is a replacement for the 2225 just don't overdrive the cabs, most of the problems with these cabs are caused by people thrashing the arse out of them treat em nice they'l last for ages.
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 9:19am
As above. 2226's. If you tried a different brand with similar specs to the 2226's you will need the drivers to be shallow else they won't fit and you will end up having to get some spacers.

Btw, those boxes you have got are the early versions which I believe had removable fronts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 11:32am
Yo, yes the fronts are removable... Lots of crosshead screws. The cloth covered grills I guess fill in for the lack of grills on tje ports. Doesn't look like it ever had grills in the ports.

I'll start looking out for some 2226s. I take it go for 2226h unless reconing, in which case could get 2226g basket and recone to 8ohms.

Will see if I can sympathetically adapt the terminal plate for speakon.

So do these 4785s go deeper than your typical single 18 reflex?

Has anyone run these with reflex cabs? Guess you'd need to use a fair bit of time delay on the reflex cabs and make sure the drivers in the TCB'S are wired correctly
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

Cool, sounds like a speaker worth having. What do you reckon to the value of empty cabs? Front face is decent condition, rest is scuffed back to the wood on all the corners but no missing laminates as far as I could see... metal input plate is in good condition for the age...

No value at all as an empty cabinet Charly,it's just whatever you feel happy paying for them...if they were loaded,you buy them purely for the value of the drivers inside.
Not one of JBL's better designs if im honest.
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>