Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL TCBs... value and thoughts...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2015 at 9:47am
Ah balls... Could I ask a huge favor and ask the dimensions of them? Section of the square tube, thickness of the plate which has the mounting hole in etc... There's an engineering shop locally to me who'd be able to make up a kit which I can weld up and paint.

Really can't see me being able to get some of them!!

Edited by charlysays - 03 August 2015 at 9:47am
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2015 at 9:59am
I didn't get the point.
I don't care about brands at all, just & only performance.

The JBL drivers used to be much more expensive than others that sound better, even though it's a "JBL" box it doesn't mean that a JBL driver is a better fit, after all it's just a simple bandpass box. Now I see 2225 quite cheap on ebay.
Having a huge sub like a tcb double 18" takes up 150x75x75 cm.

So in my opinion you'd want to use it if u have it!
Martin 115 combo sounds sweet:-)

Usually these martin bins should be best is groups, but playing just kick is probably ok alone, used to have 4 pcs, never got around to measure them.

www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2015 at 9:06pm
Update.

I fitted four reconed JBL 2226H into the TCBs. Fitted a speakon where the XLR input was... one of those small speakon sockets.

Took a while to screw in 78 screws plus four machine screws into each front, even with a drill driver!

I came to the conclusion that these early 4785s never had metal bars between the drivers. The reason being that the drivers mount on the wrong side of the baffle for the bars to be able to meet up with the driver chassis. As for the bars potentially spanning between the two baffles- there was no evidence at all of any ever having been fitted.
I'm positive I mounted the speakers on the right side of the baffle as the T nuts are stapled in place... so the driver has to be mounted on the opposite side of the baffle from the T nuts.

Anyway, I tested them tonight at a fairly low volume as the drivers are new....

They did well with oldschool jungle but were hopeless with music that has a lot of heavy lower down kick. I could see why people call them waffle bins.
I was impressed by how even the response is- all my reflex cabs tend to bark some notes out, but the TCBs were incredibly smooth and even. Really low distortion for sure.

When I had them just running 35-50hz and delayed all the reflex bins a bit it sounded decent :)

Its certainly significantly increased the trowser flapping output of my system. Will gradually run the drivers in over the next few days incase I want to gig them.
Also gotta work out a safe limiter setting for them!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234