Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just starting out, advice appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vurso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just starting out, advice appreciated.
    Posted: 27 October 2014 at 8:19pm
Me and a couple of friends have started building a soundsystem & have got this far without spending a ridiculous amount of money, and are happy with the stack as it stands..

We need to think about getting amps, a crossover, equalizer..

What gear would people recommend? Looking at a behringer ultradrive and maybe powering the subs and kicks with an Infi 8 Mk1,

Also, what would people suggest for crossover points?

We are running the SBH's with 18LW2400  drivers, the BS1200 are loaded with PD154's. 
We took the Kicks out this weekend just gone, they sound absolutely insane. The tops are Turbosound THL-2's, one with original driver, one with a PD 15" cone, the original driver needs a recone which we will get sorted soon.

Some general advice appreciated.

Edited by vurso - 27 October 2014 at 8:57pm
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 6:59am
That's an amazing first time stack! I thing would always recommend is to have the same drivers in the same speakers.
Ultradrives are good for the money. (if you buy new - some old models are dodgy)
Try and look for the Inf8 MK2 if you can ( or MK1 with MK2 upgrades if they are done by a reputable person)

You can't polish a turd!
THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 8:48am
id use 2 separate amps to run your bass.

One for kick and one for sub

if you do it the other way you'd be running half your amp at 2ohms and the other at 4ohms which isnt the greatest for performance and lifespan

maybe an inf8 mk1 on sub (can get them for £6-700) and a used matrix 5000H or xt5000mf on kick
That along with an ultradrive

And then work out crossover points and delays and your half way.
Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 8:59am
if its 2 SBH and 1 bs1200 (which what I though the bs1200 is 4 ohms?) the amp will see an equal load.
Not ideal putting all your eggs in 1 basket though. 
Could even try inf6 for another option than matrix - if you wanted to keep the amps the same brand that is.

You can't polish a turd!
THECANDLEMAN View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 9:21am
photo shows 2 subs and 2 double kick ?
Motion Systems - Void Airmotion, Airten & Stasys 218 With Powersoft DSP
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 9:33am
oh my bad (pics sometimes don't show on my phone!)
Then yes 2 amps for sure. I think there was an inf6 and dbx driverack in a rack on ebay a couple days ago at a decent price but not sure if its still on.
There's a few matrix amps floating around on rig re-sale on facebook too (seems like its become a matrix re-sale page recently haha)
Edit: forget about the inf6 for 2x double kicks

Edited by cookie-dj - 04 November 2014 at 9:35am
You can't polish a turd!
vurso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vurso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 12:34pm

Thanks for the positive words, and thanks for the advice. I’ll share a link to this thread with the other guys and we’ll see what’s the best route to take.

I'll update when we make more decisions!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

That's an amazing first time stack! I thing would always recommend is to have the same drivers in the same speakers.
Ultradrives are good for the money. (if you buy new - some old models are dodgy)
Try and look for the Inf8 MK2 if you can ( or MK1 with MK2 upgrades if they are done by a reputable person)

the mk1 mod / upgrade, does not make them a mk2, internals differ a bit. But the mk1 mod is still worth doing on them.
https://www.elements-audio.com
vurso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vurso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

the mk1 mod / upgrade, does not make them a mk2, internals differ a bit. But the mk1 mod is still worth doing on them.

could we not run the SBH and A.S.S at 4 ohm on each channel?

at least till we gather the money to buy more bass amps.
lgosdset View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgosdset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by vurso vurso wrote:

could we not run the SBH and A.S.S at 4 ohm on each channel?

at least till we gather the money to buy more bass amps.

yes but you would have to wire the two drivers in the ass in series, which would mean less power per driver, I am sure those cabs are quite efficient tho so will still make a decent amount of racket.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 10:40pm
if 2 high power subs is all you "need/could afford for quite a while/suits the rigs purpose etc." i would have gone for 4ohm drivers. 2 in series would have 8ohm impedance, much cheaper and easier to power imo (just bridge an Amp thats about 1.5kw at 4ohm p.CH)
Same goes for double 15s, assuming they are loaded with 8ohm drivers, wiring them in series internally, connect 2 cabs in parallel - again a 8ohm load which might be cheaper to power imo.

for example, i have used 2 limmer double 15s a side on a bridged lexon PQM8...
roughly 2.5kw a side, and if the Amp should have had a fault with one channel (its not likely both ch. go down imo) i could have still used the amp in normal stereo mode and the show would go on  ;)
- on a side note, compared same setup with qsc PL380 and pcm18, pl ran out of steam way too quick but sounds nice, pcm had more grunt but less attack - my opinion, quite subjective :)

vurso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vurso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 7:45am
Just an update;

Purchased Berry Ultradrive, 2 x Crest 7001 & 1 x Crest 8001.

After an amp rack and other bit but will update again once full rig is in action maybe post some videos too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>