Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Large 12v sound system (more pics added)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large 12v sound system (more pics added)
    Posted: 13 May 2013 at 11:43pm
Been asked to build a system for a band wanting to play at some festivals this year.

system 

4x 12" bass bins loaded with sov 12-200s (thanks to Paulie paul) 
2x top cabs loaded with 2 celestion kt8-100 driver 2 a side and 1" p audio 440s 

driven by 1 2x 300watts sure electronics amp 
1 4 chaneel 4x 100watt sure amp
2x 300watt power booster
mini dsp 2x4 electronic cross over 
and a sure electronics potentiometer for system input control 
power from 2x 140ah 12 leisure batteries.

they have a welding friend who is going to build a 2 person bike contraption to move it around on (pics to follow)

First top cab coming to life.

Bass bin on test 112 ltr box crossed from 180hz to 45hz tuned to 48hz sounds great considering the driver, played D & B through it for 6 hours at the week end and it sounded good. plenty of bass & kick and not to boomy. mission hifi speaker filling in for the top cabs not fully ready yet. 

hope to have the rest of the cabs built by the week end and will have alot more pics up soon and info on the amp boxes and power system. 

Edited by Edd Jordan - 24 May 2013 at 2:57pm
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:10am
Looks good. Very good. Remember to test them (bass bin to top level especially) outside on a fairly open field as it's quite surprising how much deep bass is sucked away in free air.
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:18am
Cheers. indeed, thats why i went for 4x 12" cones in bigger than normally boxes they start to dip naturally at 49hz when i did a sweep test. i hope to get it out side for a real world test very soon. i can imagine it should be more than adequate bass wise for the use its intended but hey watch this space. the drivers are pretty efficient and need very little to drive them well. 

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:00am
Whoo. Thats quite some battery-powered rig there.

Hope those blobs of electronics are gonna prove reliable for you .... this is for live music - yes ?

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:08am
yes, live singers bass player and ableton. i hope so too! but that said and not wanting to jinx it iv not had a problem yet with a sure amp. 
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Edd Jordan Edd Jordan wrote:

yes, live singers bass player and ableton. i hope so too! but that said and not wanting to jinx it iv not had a problem yet with a sure amp. 

Thats quite "brave" of you Wink

Quite a bit to go wrong with the electronics (thinking of current inrush, DC offsets, ground loops etc.)
Think - given that speaker complement - I'd have been inclined to go down the good quality car amp route there .... for (I think) a quiet life (OK then - laziness LOL) .....
It would likely sacrifice some efficiency for reliability/simplicity  ..... but obviously that depends on your run-time agenda.

Your speaker setup would seem to lend itself very well to car amps though .... e.g. 1 x good big class D monobloc (something around 600 real watts) for 4 x 12" drivers = 2R load = good. For mid-tops a
regular 2ch, or 4ch one bridged into 2 .... assuming your 8" drivers are 8R that'd be 4R cabs - would work well with passive Xover in em (yeah might need "special" Xover for 4R mid + 8R CD).

I'd have thought the car amps built-in Xovers would work well - caveat being that the "sub-sonic" filters are usually set too low (like 25-30) .... but I think one or two do let you tweak this.

Anyway - it'd be really interesting to compare overall efficiencies of the 2 setups ....

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:53am
Every thing was on a budget, and going the way i did with these amps was by far the cheapest bangs for buck i could get. i hope it proves to be reliable. ground loops can generally be solved by careful wiring also there will be a half decent transfo on stand by if needed. im sure(hope)  it will fine. but luck would have it a friend of mine just gave me a car amp class d so i have a back up if things go wrong  now. Smile more pics up end of today.

amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:58am
like your bass drivers... 52 quid on ebay looks bargain.
5.5mm xmax and 100db sensitivity quite interesting. 
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:34am
need a big box but if you can deal with that they go low enough to make some half decent bass.

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:11pm
Two thumbs up, I'm working on something very similar! See you in a field this summer, I hope :)

PS - Sure have excellent customer service but you just have to persevere a bit to get them to do what they should about boards that break. I wouldn't worry about total system failure, but since they are cheap, it does make sense to buy a spare board in case one gets bored of life in the middle of a job - as a replacement will take 2 weeks to arrive, minimum.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Two thumbs up, I'm working on something very similar! See you in a field this summer, I hope :)

PS - Sure have excellent customer service but you just have to persevere a bit to get them to do what they should about boards that break. I wouldn't worry about total system failure, but since they are cheap, it does make sense to buy a spare board in case one gets bored of life in the middle of a job - as a replacement will take 2 weeks to arrive, minimum.

I'd go along with that .... especially if there's a commercial/professional agenda there.
I suspect the car amps (good ones) would be a bit more robust overall .... which might be significant for live music .... some kind of limiter/compressor would be good to have IMHO.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 3:06pm

Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

As  I always say: "buy cheap, buy twice". :)

For semi-pro use, it would probably be better to invest a little more and for example buy classDaudio amps or just better quality Tripath amps from hifidiy. Firstly they are  much better quality, and secondly they're much more reliable, and  thirdly, the customer service is far better.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>