Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lightweight Neo Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightweight Neo Build
    Posted: 12 March 2015 at 4:01pm
Hi guys. I'm planning a lightweight build for in the summer. I've got my battery setup together: 11.1V 3.4Ah 18650 Panasonic pack with a 1.5A charger and balancing protection module. Now I'm looking for drivers but can't really decide. It has to be lightweight, so probably neodymium based, work good in <4 liter and be cheap (<40€). My 2 main candidates:
-Faital Pro 3FE22 ported
-Dayton ND105 sealed

With the Faital the bass extension isn't that great, but it's very efficient and can be compact. Although it needs to ported (or a PR), so that has to be compensated for. It can very well work fullrange

The Dayton has decent bass extension but doesn't really want to be a fullranger and isn't that efficient. I'm wanting to use it with the Lepai so I can EQ up the bass a bit if I want. Or use the capacitor resonator trick like in the Boominator Micro.

Can anybody help me make the decision?

Sapro2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapro2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 2:18pm
I would say that efficiency is key for 12v systems so of the two i would reccomend the Faital. You can either have it a bit quieter taking advantage of your efficiency or alternatively have it louder: remember that 3db in efficiency is double the power. If you are outside, unless you have a lot of it then deep bass will blow away and disappear anyway.

Edited by Sapro2 - 15 March 2015 at 2:18pm
Splat Soundsystem
Baby Sham pram Soundsystem
Sapro - SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/sapro
DJ Sapro. West country free party DJ and Producer.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 3:51pm
Efficiency is definitely key to 12v although I've found this mantra if followed to the letter can be counterproductive to good design. It's one of the first things I learnt but equally it made me overlook a lot of amazing components for no better reason than a couple of dB  less efficiency than the - inferior - alternatives. Sometimes a component will be so good for portable applications (lightweight, cheap, great sound quality and quite good but not stellar efficiency) it's worth the extra battery/amp power requirements to make it perform.

Edited by Hemisphere - 15 March 2015 at 3:53pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 4:21pm
Yeah, I thought about that too. 3dB doesn't seem to be the end of the world, and a bit of bass extension is always nice. Especially for the occasional indoor use. Of course aiming for a solid 40Hz with 3-4" is stupid, but a F6 or F10 of ~50Hz would be nice.

KWB75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KWB75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2015 at 7:55pm
Totally agree, whilst efficiency is important I quickly realised that personally I don't need massive output or long battery life. 99% of my music is played at medium/low volume for <5 hrs, this really doesn't put efficiency at the top of design priorities.

Look at the minirig sub - uses a driver with a sensitivity of 76db, can't be many drivers worse than that - yet it's an incredible little speaker.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2015 at 12:46pm
I really can't find a driver like the Faital that trades efficiency for bass extension.

Neodymium magnet, low price, good high freq response, efficient, 4 ohm. What do you want more? Yeah, bass. I think I'll just order a pair and see if they produce a satisfactory sound. If not, I'll just sell it. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2015 at 12:57pm
Use Maxxbass or similar harmonic exciter plugin to fill out the frequency response - it won't be as good as 'real' bass but it'll give a decent approximation and makes sure the low bass content isn't lost altogether
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2015 at 1:09pm
Can't seem to find any for Android
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2015 at 2:07pm
I don't think there are any 'live' filter apps that you can run the signal through, you need to use a DAW (Reaper is a good 'free' one) and either play your music directly through that or filter it with the plugin and export to WAV. The MaxxBass plugin is available as a free time limited trial from Waves, that should be enough to convert a lot of files
 Post Reply Post Reply