Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

line array projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 2:39pm
Ha Ha Ha, .... thank you verry much  Marjan !!! You can help me more in that way ... :)

if you read carefully, my first post,   you would understand that I never wanted to build a line array system. I made a PA system "inspired" from LA Sys.  Is a hybrid system, scalable, which can be used for an audience of up to 600 people. I am pleased to inform you that it works excellent! (except variant vertical tweeter course).  Must tell you that I have built subwoofers too, and the whole system  benefits from DSP and class D power amplifiers. When the final tests will be done, I will return with information and pics.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 3:57pm
It might sound good in one point of the audience. But it will not work as line array and it will have massive combfiltering in the vertical axis. So it is not line array.
Second thing is that APT150 can not be crossed low enough even if you did the HF section right with a proper line array wave guide. 
So the box is totally wrong. With the tons of online information about line array and how they work i still find my self amused with this kind of diy work.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 4:06pm
Catabo,

If you want the high frequency elements to acoustically couple you need to get the center to center spacing of the drivers much closer. If you must use piezo's for budget reasons why don't you have a look at Bill F's idea with melded piezo arrays.

But the problems with the crossover frequency will remain as piezo's will need to be crossed fairly high compared to good CD drivers. 
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 4:20pm
melded piezo array

Something like this. Should be pretty cheap to build with some Monacor MPT-016 or equivalent tweeters.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 5:27pm
Piezo can not go low enough either. Need to be at about 1Khz.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Catabo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 10:55am
You are right, I will use PSD2002, and I will build plywood waveguide. Now looking for model.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your help !
Catalin.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 10:59am
Dont do that! PSD2002 is the biggest shit of cd driver made ever. 
Remember one thing, line arrays and cheap drivers dong go along.
As i have said you need a driver that can go down to 1KHz. And you need a line array wave guide, not those horns.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Catabo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 11:11am
Okay, what driver do you recommend me?

I find that wawe guide for line array

http://www.paudiothailand.com/pdf/products/PH-CL35.pdf - http://www.paudiothailand.com/pdf/products/PH-CL35.pdf

but,  not imported in Romania

Thank you with consideration
Catalin.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 11:34am
Talk with Mircea Bartic here on the forum about Paudio. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2013 at 4:38pm
You can use a 2inch comp to get down low and then something like one of thoes cheep tweeter arrays on the top end. It wouldn't be the only design (pro design) based on this principle.

Dear o dear, it looks like the idea of a line array needing more coƱplex processing than a standard horn loaded point system has stuck.

Marjam, I blame u.

Just as a matter of fact, to the op (nice work on the complete system there, I always thought the rigging would be the most complex/expensive thing to do). What sort of processing do u use on ur array mate? I don't mean exact parameters, but do u process all the boxes in the array in the same way?
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
Catabo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2013 at 7:43pm
Well ... 
@ personunknown

Thank's alot. Now i wanna make correction ... Now try to get closer and closer to the line array.
Supplement the budget and purchase  wawe guide  from P-Audio  PHCL35 and driver SD-63BF.
By the way ... initialy i desing the whole system to be manged by one DCX 2496 from Bery, and 3 Power Amp , D-class, from low, medium and high, separatedly shure. In the same box, will be two spek-on connectors from two power amps, medium and high. I build subs too. One for each column, based on RCF - LF15G401. 
Do you think I need processing  the HF dirvers separatedly?  I have 6 top ellements for one column.
I really appreciate your help !
Catalin.
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2013 at 9:06pm
If u want to use a 2 inch comp and then rely on the smaller tweeter type things for the highs then its going to be basicly impossible to make it only 2 way. It will have to be 3 way, and u will need to time align between the different sections. I don't know, on second thoughts u coult use passive filters on the lows (a 12 or 15 inch driver with some kinda acoutic cententer separation ie, a baffel with 2 slots in front of each driver nexo/vertec style) then u could send a full range signal down one line to these 2 bands and then process the signal to the 2 inch comp in a way that it fits and send that down the other line. That's a bit unconventional, and the best thing would be to go 3 or 4 way from the start (like the I4) cos although the tweeters and the LF cone driver will be easy to phisicaly time align, it all sounds a bit jerry rig even to me who is saying it.

I think the p audio waveguides are a bit crap, but that's just what they tell me. I think the problem is more in the very high frequency, so I guess u could realisticly mate it to one of thoes tweeter arrays. You must remember though, this will only ever be something which looks like a line array, at best, and I think u need to read a lot more before spending any more money.

They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>